Microsoft Windows 10: Is it worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sefie, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

I know you can’t answer, but what do you really think about Windows 10?

I was sceptical from the start. When I started reading about how a lot of people in business are going to stick with Windows 7 until it’s ended, I thought: Get another machine now while they’re still affordable, and did so.

Why should I trust Microsoft when they are shoving Windows 10 down my throat, even though I’ve told them I don’t want it? I’ve turned off upgrades completely.

It took me a long time to move to Windows 7, and I still miss XP. Gabriele

I may have faults, but I have no problem saying what I think. And I really do think that Windows 10 will be extremely good when it’s finished, which it isn’t, yet. In fact, my view hasn’t changed since I reviewed Windows 10.

The problem isn’t whether to upgrade to Windows 10, it’s when. That depends on what you are using now, what you are using your computer for, and whether you can benefit from Windows 10’s innovations. It also depends on whether you are an early adopter who is keen to try new things, or a late adopter who is happy to wait until the interesting new thing has become everybody else’s boring old thing.

Most businesses are conservative, thinking that “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Even if they want to move, it takes them ages. First, they have to test the new OS to make sure it runs all their software, and in-house programs may need some rewriting. Second, switching hundreds or thousands of PCs can take months. Third, workers generally don’t like change, and they may need some retraining, which costs money.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/oct/29/windows-10s-get-started-app

Sefie, Oct 29, 2015
  2. Sefie

Lun

I completely agree. Windows 10 is clearly still an infant, if I may say. I already made a topic showing the kind of issues I encountered ever since upgrading, all of which shouldn't happen in the first place in an OS. It took a while for Windows 7 to reach its stable form, and I bet the same applies to Windows 10. Unless you have a pressing need for upgrading, you shouldn't upgrade now. That's my opinion.

Lun, Oct 29, 2015
  3. Sefie

IcyBC

I kept hearing mix conversation about window 10. Some really like it and others won't upgrade unless they have too. Making this decision isn't easy for sure as there are still many different things keep popping up. If I still have my HP, I will not upgrade either.

IcyBC, Nov 2, 2015
  4. Sefie

Nestone50

I've updated to Windows 10 and am happy with the result. Times march on. If you owns an Android phone, are you still using the Gingerbread OS? Are you still using an OS 5 Apple 3 phone? I agree with those that said Windows 8 was a disaster for those who were coming from XP or 7. However, 10 is more like 7 and is much more secure. Sure, there is a bit of a learning curve for finding some of the OS settings, but not worse than those coming from XP to 7. Download Classic Shell, chose the Windows 7 interface and you'll hardly notice the difference. People whine about the auto downloads of Microsoft updates. However. without auto downloads, most don't keep their computer up to date. I just repaired the a Windows 7 OS for someone who brought their computer to me claiming it was "broken." It was so out of date and infected with malware, I simply had to reformat and reinstall Windows 7 and then immediately update to 10. With automatic downloads of updates, perhaps this won't happen again. The owner of the computer has marveled how fast the computer is now running. Most use their computers as an appliance and don't "maintain" them. Microsoft knows it and is making their OS more "idiot proof" in regards to updates and security with each release.

Nestone50, Nov 3, 2015
  5. Sefie

Ishmael

Not necessarily. I have it and it's alright honestly, but if you still have Windows 7 or 8 you're not reeeeally missing anything. But for gaming it's going to be important, because of Directx 12. Until then, though, I don't really see why using it. But hey, it's free for the first year so why not.

Ishmael, Nov 3, 2015
  6. Sefie

Nestone50

And remember, it's only free until next July. After that, you will have to pay for it.

Nestone50, Nov 3, 2015
  7. Sefie

thess

I have been incredibly skeptical about it as well. I keep getting the update notifications and just don't know if I should. I looked up the official tutorial videos and it seemed okay, but too complicated for me. What I have now is just so user friendly and easy to use. I've heard mixed reviews so I'm torn. I probably will end up just keeping what I have now, which is Windows 8.

thess, Nov 4, 2015
  8. Sefie

KimmyMarkks

I think compares to windows 8 (which in my experience had a lot of issues) windows 10 is a huge step forward. Overall my computer runs a lot faster. I also really like the layout of the software compared to windows 8 which was all apps/icons. I would definitively recommend upgrading for anyone who isn't a fan of windows 8.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 10, 2015
  9. Sefie

KimmyMarkks

This is a great point. I had no idea it was a free trial. I thought they were just saying the free download would expire to get people to sign up ASAP. Wow I would definitely recommend upgrading now then.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 10, 2015
  10. Sefie

Dryy

Personally, I won't update until I feel like Windows 10 has become stable enough, and Windows 8.1 is starting to lose its support by Microsoft. Reason being, I actually tried upgrading to Windows 10 when they were rolling out the free upgrades for Windows 8 and Windows 7 users, but something was totally off. My laptop was horribly slow with Windows 10 on it, and my laptop isn't bad at all, Windows 8 and 8.1 ran perfectly fine on it. But the upgrade to Windows 10 made the laptop almost unusable. Luckily, they implemented a system restore function to revert to Windows 8.1. That experience alone keeps me away from Windows 10 at this point, and to be honest I didn't even like the aesthetics of Windows 10. I know it probably can be customized to your needs, but eh...Windows 8.1 just feels a lot better.

Dryy, Nov 17, 2015
  11. Sefie

Nestone50

Suspect something went wrong during your upgrade. I have a very old Acer netbook that originally came with Windows XP. A few years back I upgraded to Windows 7 and have now made the jump to 10. The little AOA-150 netbook has never run better with the Windows 10 OS.
    After installing Windows 10, your old operating operating system remains on the hard drive along with a temp file with over a gig of files. If you don't have a large hard drive or, if the hard drive was over 50% full, a disk and system clean up is in order. I did that and then performed a defrag of the hard drive. I have two desktop computers, the netbook and a Lanovo Windows tablet. All are running Windows 10 without a hiccup.
    Of interest, Windows 10 just did a major upgrade this past week that actually resulted in the entire OS being reinstalled. Personally, I download the OS onto a USB drive and installed that way so it didn't take so long to download for each computer. You must be careful to chose the proper OS for your computer, either the 32 bit or 64 bit. When downloading to a USB drive, one of the choices is to download both the 32 and 64 bit version on the same USB drive making things easier.
    Of course, aesthetics is certainly a personal choice based on one's taste. I can tell you the latest update allows you to change background and border colors.

Nestone50, Nov 17, 2015
Ask a Question