Microsoft will let you keep your free 15GB of OneDrive storage, if you claim it

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Microsoft has grudgingly agreed to let current OneDrive users keep their 15GB of free cloud storage and 15GB of free Camera Roll “bonus” storage, rather than dropping you to 5GB as previously stated, but only if you’re aware of the offer and don’t mind a bit of spam.

To take advantage of the offer, visit this Microsoft page. Microsoft representatives said the company does not have a supplementary explanatory blog post or statement to add at the present, but they did supply the webpage address, whose URL lists it as a “preview” at the moment.

You’ve already navigated the first hurdle: since users have to manually opt in to the offer, OneDrive users who are unaware of the deal won’t be able to take advantage of it. And there’s a small catch: by selecting the offer, you agree “to receive promotional emails from OneDrive,” although Microsoft immediately says that you can unsubscribe as well—how to do that, however, isn’t exactly clear.

It appears that unchecking the “promotional email” box, then clicking the “Keep your free storage” button also appears to work. In response to a question from PCWorld, a Microsoft representative said that the wording is being changed to “make it more clear”.

Why this matters: Microsoft’s reputation has climbed of late, as it’s reached out and worked with customers on the development of Windows 10, Office, and even Solitaire. But the end of unlimited OneDrive storage was a real black eye for Microsoft’s outreach efforts, and even the latest offer feels a bit half-hearted. If you want your friends to be able to take advantage of the offer, you’ll need to share it with them.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3014...15gb-of-onedrive-storage-if-you-claim-it.html

Sefie, Dec 14, 2015
    Ian likes this.
  2. Sefie

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Thanks for that Selfie... Claimed mine... can't have too much Cloud storage...

Also shared it with my followers and Friends on Facebook.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Dec 15, 2015
  3. Sefie

PingPongCall

Just curious, can you block all of the promotional e-mails and still keep the storage space?

I mean after the fact of course, or is it something that is checked frequently?

PingPongCall, Dec 15, 2015
  4. Sefie

Brian8gbSSDLinux

You need to go to Online OneDrive and check out their security settings...
    there is (at least) one place called Microsoft Personalized Ads.. with two On/Off switches, clicking OFF on the top one also clicked the second one...
    So much to do... MS OneDrive privacy settings are rather like Facebook privacy settings.. too many to talk about... better to dive in and do what I did set them all to off

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Dec 16, 2015
  5. Sefie

Sefie

You are welcome, Brian :) I'm glad this link was useful to you, I hope a lot people take advantage of this, I shared this just in case no one else on here was aware about it.

Sefie, Dec 18, 2015
  6. Sefie

IcyBC

Thank you for the information! I will have to pass this on to my Window users family members and friends!

IcyBC, Dec 18, 2015
  7. Sefie

Sefie

You are welcome :) I just did the same among all my friends and relatives, because you just never know when you might need more space in the cloud ;)

Sefie, Dec 19, 2015
Ask a Question