Microsoft Now Labels Windows 10 as a Recommended Update

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sefie, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Nearly six months after releasing Windows 10, Microsoft has begun pushing the new operating system as a 'Recommended Update' to users. While the change in the labelling (prior to the announcement it was an 'optional' update), will help many users upgrade their computer, it would also mean that things will become more annoying for those who don't want Windows 10 on their system yet.

Last year, Microsoft said that it would categorise the Windows 10 update as a Recommended Update in early 2016. That day has come. Microsoft on Monday confirmed that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1users now see Windows 10 as a Recommended Update in Windows Update application.

"As we shared in late October on the Windows Blog, we are committed to making it easy for our Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10. We updated the upgrade experience today to help our customers, who previously reserved their upgrade, schedule a time for their upgrade to take place," a Microsoft spokesperson told VentureBeat.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/microsoft-now-labels-windows-10-as-a-recommended-update-797501

Sefie, Feb 2, 2016
  2. Sefie

IBMPC8088

I've always labeled Windows 10 as a virus, since that's what it is: spyware and something that controls your computer and removes programs without your consent. It's an unrecommended downgrade, and I hope that no one has to be forced to use it. If you have Windows 7, you should stay with that since it's good until 2020 and beyond. If you have Windows 8 or 8.1, you should consider upgrading to Windows 7 and not downgrading to 10. Better yet, upgrade to Linux or some other stable OS so that you don't have to worry about Microsoft telling you what to do and controlling your PC and taking that control away from you anymore.

IBMPC8088, Feb 3, 2016
  3. Sefie

IcyBC

Oh no, poor Window users! No more freedom and slowly everything will be under controlled by these giant companies without people having a choice. They should just let users decide which is good for them or which one works best for them, and not forcing the mass on people!

IcyBC, Feb 4, 2016
  4. Sefie

Nestone50

You are certainly welcome to use Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98se, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8.0 or 8.1. Just don't expect Microsoft to continue to support those operating systems with patches and security updates forever. They will continue to run on your computer. Microsoft doesn't make it a secret that operating systems have a finite lifespan in regards to patches and support. You can also go to Apple or Linux. So, you have plenty of choices out there.
    If you go into settings for Windows 10, you can turn off most of what you call spyware. You can also disable automatic updates.

Nestone50, Feb 4, 2016
  5. Sefie

GearZ

Beware, there is an "upgrade via ambush" coming. Details are here. I've been checking my Windows 7 boxes this morning to make sure automatic update is turned off. Ugh.

GearZ, Feb 4, 2016
  6. Sefie

ACSAPA

Hmm, I voluntarily upgraded to Windows 10. I haven't really been seeing any problems. I do remember when I had Windows 7, and the pop-ups from Microsoft to get Windows 10 were being kind of annoying. One of the last ones I got before actually upgrading was the one where it said that "Over 110 million Windows users upgraded to Windows 10" or something like that. Before that, they were trying to offer Windows 10 for free until January of 2016. Well, I got it before then, and it's not bad so far. It works well on my newer laptop.

ACSAPA, Feb 4, 2016
Ask a Question