Microsoft bangs another nail in Adobe Flash's coffin with a big change to Edge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Flash is not as integral to the web as it once was, but it’s still required for some content, despite being a huge security nightmare.

Microsoft, like Google and Mozilla, wants to hasten the transition away from Flash to a more modern, standards based web, and so plans to make a big change to Edge in the forthcoming Anniversary Update to Windows 10.

http://betanews.com/2016/04/07/microsoft-bangs-another-nail-in-flashs-coffin/

Sefie, Apr 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and IcyBC like this.
  2. Sefie

something back

Flash player has suffered so many flaws over the last two years
    that's it time to reconsider it's validity.

something back, Apr 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. Sefie

IcyBC

Flash player went allow to be on seemed to suck the battery life out of my laptop! I usually have to tick it off but some websites still required it, such as Pixlr.com as I need to re-size my photos using this online photo editor.

IcyBC, Apr 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Sefie

IBMPC8088

It should have always been optional from the start, and made more modular to where it could be modified by the user to be restricted or placed into a secondary container. It would have used more ram, but it definitely would have made it possible for the user to control what it could do or have access to had they done it that way instead. As it is now, it's just a security risk to run. I keep a VM up for copying and pasting any links with flash to a separate browser that isn't running on the host machine just to add that layer if I need to view something that has that in it. Otherwise, it doesn't get run on the machine.

Microsoft bangs nails in its own operating system and browser as well as Adobe's products, so at this point all they need is a jackhammer to finish it.

IBMPC8088, Apr 16, 2016
Ask a Question