Messenger showing contacts offline??? Any idea?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by fionad, Dec 30, 2008.

1. fionad

fionad

Hi I have run all the live updates and am now able to login to messenger msn. The problem is it is showing all my contacts as offline, when i know my son is online, and showing me as online on acer but offline to my contacts! Any idea how to fix this? Seems to be a lot of messing about and has actually put my son off buying one of these. I know its only a small thing but I dont want to change to a different IM programme. Thanks.

fionad, Dec 30, 2008
  2. fionad

meng

Is this still a problem if you run MSN Messenger on a different computer? I think is possible to hide your online status from others (for privacy reasons), maybe you have this switched on. I can't imagine how this could be a hardware problem.

meng, Dec 30, 2008
  3. fionad

fionad

Thanks for replying. No it works fine on the main pc. I'm baffled.

fionad, Dec 30, 2008
  4. fionad

meng

Are you running WIndows or Linux?

meng, Dec 30, 2008
  5. fionad

fionad

Linux, never used it before, I read there are some compatibility programs

fionad, Dec 31, 2008
  6. fionad

meng

So I suppose you are using Pidgin IM client then - it is a good idea to provide details.

My best guess is that you are not actually connected to MSN, and that is why you appear to be offline to others and others appear to be offline to you. Are other internet functions - email, browsing - working at the same time you are doing this? Is the Acer connected to internet by wireless or ethernet?

I'm not sure what you mean by compatibility programs - perhaps you meant problems? What sort of problems? Pidgin has always worked fine for me, no problems at all.

meng, Dec 31, 2008
  7. fionad

fionad

Re: Messenger showing contacts offline? Sorted now thanks

hi well i am not sure how but i sorted it. All working now. Thanks so much for trying to help. x

fionad, Dec 31, 2008
Ask a Question