messed up linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by pauloates, Mar 12, 2009.

1. pauloates

pauloates

Acer One 150 with 120 HD and linpus.
    I soon found out how to install new software and then went on to try out xfce desktop which seemed successful in spite of starting with faulty instructions. However I soon found that file manager was severely messed up. I therefore reinstalled the original system from the recovery DVD via a USB stick. But none of the 'more' arrow icons work nor the games icon. File manager is still virtually unusable (completely unusable without setting up menu on right click) and Media Player behaves in ways it was never designed too - probably other programs as well.

Is it possible to achieve a clean reinstall? Any help appreciated. Paul Oates

pauloates, Mar 12, 2009
  2. pauloates

barrie

Hi Paul,

Not sure what happened regarding your recovery stick, as if it was done correctly your system should have been restored to new out of the box condition.

When I tested the recovery USB stick I made, the process took to about 20 minuets to complete and once done and rebooted I had to set Language, Password and Time zone.

Can I ask if this happened when you used the rescues stick?

This is the method I use to create my rescue stick,
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7412

the only difference was I used a new 8Gb stick opposed to the 1Gb suggested. And this gave me a clean back to new out of the box system install.

barrie, Mar 13, 2009
  3. pauloates

pauloates

Thanks Barrie for your reply. In fact I did exactly as you did - even to using a new 8Gb USB stick. It took about the same time with the same re-entry of local data. So I was mighty disappointed when the problem was still there.
    Paul Oates

pauloates, Mar 13, 2009
  4. pauloates

barrie

Hi Paul,

Can I ask what Bios version you have and how old the box is?

I got mine in Oct 2008 and still running 3109 UK model, have read many threads regarding flashing the Bios but this worries me unless there is absolutely no other alternative. But is sounds like maybe the Bios has been corrupted, although if this was the case then I do not think you could even boot the notebook.

It might pay to run pirut from the terminal, and see what errors you get there.

I hope someone with greater hardware knowledge reads this thread.

barrie, Mar 13, 2009
  5. pauloates

pauloates

Thanks Barrie. Bios version 0.3114. Pirut (whatever it does?) gave 3 error reports - all gtk warning character ' ' not valid inside an identity name gtkmain ().

However one time I switched the machine on today it worked perfectly. I then restarted and so did the problems. Have cold booted a few times since but it has not worked correctly again. I am tempted to think hardware but I can't see how that could just affect parts of the os.

Paul Oates

pauloates, Mar 13, 2009
  6. pauloates

barrie

Hi Paul,

I thought that the file gtk was part of the GIMP Toolkit but always thought that the files had a c or an h prefix IE gtkmain.c / gtkmain.h.

Maybe this is the issue as you have gtkmain () but I am out of my depth here. Maybe you should PM a Mod who will point you in the right direction.

barrie, Mar 13, 2009
  7. pauloates

pauloates

Thanks Barrie. What does PM a Mod mean please??
    I am beginning to wonder if there is a RAM problem. I downloaded memtest86+ but I can't work out how to run it - though it looks as though it should run on booting.

Paul Oates

pauloates, Mar 14, 2009
  8. pauloates

barrie

Hi Paul,

PM = Private message.

Regarding memtest86 you have to make an ISO image I think then boot from that,if you do not have a USB external CD/DVD then a memory stick might work but I am not 100% sure of this.

If as you suspect it is the memory at fault and the box is new then I would take it back to the shop if it is under warranty.

Regards
    Barrie

barrie, Mar 14, 2009
  9. pauloates

pauloates

In the end Acer took this for repair under warranty and found the keyboard was defective. Excellent service. It was collected (freely) one Monday and I received it back the following Monday.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Paul Oates

pauloates, Apr 10, 2009
  10. pauloates

barrie

Hi Paul.

I am pleased to here that you had this good service; :) it makes one feel a little more confident if you need to use the Acers back to base for a warranty repair.

And cognates you were correct it was hardware. Maybe that was what the 3 errors from Pirut were telling us.

barrie, Apr 10, 2009
Ask a Question