Memory upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Kimbara, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Kimbara

Kimbara

Is it possible to replace my current 2x2gb memory sticks with 2x4gb memory sticks in my compaq presario cq61 427 sa, also replace my current HD with an SSD, if so could anyone advise on suitable models, thanks.

Kimbara, Apr 4, 2023
    MrDale93 likes this.
  2. Kimbara

MrDale93

It is possible yes, you should be able to run 2 sticks of 4gb no problem. It would be better to run 2x4gb rather than 1x8gb as two sticks(dual channel) will run faster than one single stick(single channel). Make sure its DDR2 for that laptop though, not DDR3 or 4, they wont work.

For an SSD upgrade, use any 2.5" sata SSD by a reputable brand such as Kingston, Samsung, Crucial an you will be fine.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=2.5+sa...sprefix=2.5+sata+ssd,aps,150&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
    Here's a link to the first page on Amazon, these are the type you want, what brand you get is entirely your choice but try to get something with good reviews.

I think I ran into this question being asked elsewhere after searching for the laptops name on Google, and if it was you then you can also switch to a 64 bit operating system as mentioned in your other reply, it would be better suited to your system. Aside from that if I'm not mistaken 4gb is the max ram for 32 bit, it wont run 8gb memory without a 64bit operating system but I could be wrong on that one.

Every thing together - 8gb ram, the correct OS architecture & an SSD will make it a much faster machine. A newer model would be faster still of course and you will be told this by people, but don't be afraid to upgrade any PC to give it better performance if you want to do that over a newer model.

If you run into any problems with any of this, feel free to message me and Ill help you out with it.

MrDale93, Apr 6, 2023
  3. Kimbara

Kimbara

Many thanks, I've now fitted 2x4gb ddr2 and 1T ssd, loaded win10 Pro 64bit and the laptop is behaving like a new one, all in all the cost £119,the parts came with a 24 month warranty, thanks again.

Kimbara, Apr 7, 2023
    MrDale93 likes this.
Ask a Question