Memory upgrade Apire one D255

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jayzap, Nov 6, 2010.

1. jayzap

Weili

Hi guys :)

I'm new here and I bought a D255 a fe weeks ago. I've been loving it since and decided to max out the RAM.

I initially went to Acer's website <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart> and noticed that the D255-1134 uses a PC3-8500 RAM so I got one. After I installed it, I started having problems when booting and rebooting. It would just have a blank screen and no HD activity even though it's on and the fan is going. I have to press and hold the power key to force it to shut down then power it back on. When I do that, 9 out of 10 times would then boot normally. Obviously this is not a good long term solution.

I downgraded the RAM back to the original 1GB and worked fine, reinstalled the 2GB and the problem comes back. I tried that several times to be sure. Then I noticed that the original 1GB is actually a PC3-10600 and NOT a PC3-8500 as stated on Acer's website.

Two questions:

1.) Does the 10600 vs 8500 matter?
    2.) Would getting a 10600 RAM solve the booting problem?

Thanks in advance :)

Weili, Jan 1, 2011
  2. jayzap

Swarvey Moderator

First off the website you linked to is a Wiki site, which can have erronous information as it's created and maintained by the general public, as such you can't always trust it 100%.

10600 vs 8500 means the frequency (speed) at which the RAM runs. In a common desktop PC it wouldnt' matter as the chipset compensates if the clock speed of the RAM isn't appropriate. Usually the only problem in a desktop PC is the RAM would be too fast for the chipset, so it operates at a lower speed.

I'd hazzard a guess at the RAM you bought not being 100% compatible with your AAO. By all means if the RAM you've taken out was 10600, then your safest bet is to replace / upgrade it with 10600 RAM. Unfortunately it's a bit up-in-the-air at the moment as to what is and isn't compatible. Which is why we've got a thread on here where users share information as to what they've used, whats failed and what is working properly. I'd suggest checking out the compatible RAM thread.

Long story short, you're probably going to want to get a different (compatible) RAM module for your machine to solve the problems.

Swarvey, Jan 1, 2011
  3. jayzap

Weili

Thanks for your response.

How embarrassing, I pasted the wrong link. That was actually for another thread regarding Windows 7 Starter :oops:

The link I meant to paste was this: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/LU.SDR0D.019

But thanks for the info anyway. This has been quite frustrating as I've owned computers for over 20 years (although mostly Macs) and never once did I have any problems like this with RAM :(

Weili, Jan 2, 2011
  4. jayzap

Swarvey Moderator

Hahahahah better luck than me, I've been using PC most of my life and haven't had this problem before, but I got a Mac for the kids a few months ago and BAM first problem is that I gotta get compatible RAM if I wanna upgrade it LOL

Swarvey, Jan 3, 2011
  5. jayzap

rich_l

Here is a video on a D255

I'm planning on making my black Friday Special into a 'puter w/ 2GB RAM. 640 GB WD HDD and a 6 cell battery. :D

Wish me luck :lol:

rich_l, Jan 12, 2011
Ask a Question