Memory upgrade Apire one D255

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jayzap, Nov 6, 2010.

1. jayzap

jayzap

Hi,

New to the forum and new to the Apire one.

Love the machine, works great and battery lasts for ever.

When I bought it ir said it's upgradeable to 2gb of ram, received it with 1gb and I thought it said it had an addition slot. I can seen to find much on instructions. I took the bottom cover off and can see the 1gb.
    Do I need to replace the 1gb with a 2 gb to do the upgrade or is there another slot that I don't see ??

Thanks Jay :?

jayzap, Nov 6, 2010
  2. jayzap

Swarvey Moderator

Yup, just replace the 1Gb stick with a compatible 2Gb stick.

Swarvey, Nov 6, 2010
  3. jayzap

jayzap

Thanks for the reply, I bought a 1gb chip. I thought I read it had an other slot.
    O well I'll use it somewhere else.

jayzap, Nov 6, 2010
  4. jayzap

kippjon

I can't find any good tutorial on how to remove the back of the D255 to install the 2gb stick of RAM, anyone have any good links/resources? I've tried to pop the keyboard off, but am having no luck what so ever

kippjon, Nov 8, 2010
  5. jayzap

newport.david

defo only one slot and up to 2g on this.

i would also love any pointers on how to install it?

thanks

newport.david, Nov 10, 2010
  6. jayzap

Genom

I just finished installing a 2gb memory upgrade from Crucial.com.

First remove the battery, then remove the keyboard. You'll see the locking tabs along the top edge between the following keys: Esc/F1, F4, F8, F12, Ins/Del. Press these inwards and the keyboard will pop up a little at a time. After you can get your fingers under it, you can unlock it from the side tabs located next to the Tab and back slash keys.

Under the keyboard there are four screws to remove in order to drop the bottom door. Each screw is clearly marked "door" and the fifth hole is where you push with a screwdriver to pop out the bottom door which is also clearly marked.

Unlock the memory card by pushing away the two locks and it will almost pop out. Replace with new card, push the locks down and reassemble.

You can also check out this YouTube video (not mine) showing the memory upgrade of a D260 which is very similar to the D255.

Genom, Nov 11, 2010
  7. jayzap

gmcbpi

Hello, I have the D255-2532 model which is the one with a blue-ish type of case. However, when I tried this, I could get all the tabs on the keyboard except for the one by the escape key, \ key, and tab key. These seem like they don't even move when I tried to push them back. They look a little different from the other tabs too. Is there any other way to get the keyboard to come off so I can get access to the bottom panel?

gmcbpi, Nov 22, 2010
  8. jayzap

Genom

Yes, those tabs do not retract like the others (I failed to mention that) You'll need to flex the keyboard out from under those tabs but be careful because the keyboard's base is metal and will bend and kink if flexed too far.

Genom, Nov 23, 2010
  9. jayzap

gmcbpi

Ok. Thanks, but I am still having trouble with the last tab of the keyboard. I've already flexed the escape key (oops) and that one tab by the escape key is the toughest. I have no idea what to do to get the keyboard out in one piece.

gmcbpi, Nov 23, 2010
  10. jayzap

nephx

I have the same issue of not being able to get the keyboard out from the tab near the escape key. I have/had the:
    AOD255-1268 bought 12/15/2010. I got it from Costco for $299.

I guess the question should be asked where does one buy a replacement keyboard in case it gets bent? They don't look too expensive and would be worth replacing in order to get the memory upgrade into the unit.

I posted a weblink to a video that someone did below but its over a year old so it might be another type.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My experience so far:

The tech at Costco where I bought it took the floor model (already missing 4 of the keys so no lose if we damaged it). We took the bottom screws off and finally figured out the keyboard had to come out first. We managed to get that keyboard off but we didn't really care too much about torquing the keyboard as it was already a mess.

When I tried it at home on my brand new unit, I was not so lucky. The Escape key tab doesn't push in and the keyboard is easily bent. I called support.

It seems that there are different lower covers on various units and it would be so simple for them to put a little door down there. Why they don't want users upgrading the memory is a mystery. They should just max out the memory on the thing to begin with.

I argued with the Acer technical support (level 2) people that I needed some kind of instructions to upgrade my memory. First, they tried to convince me that its not possible then that it would void my warranty, etc. I explained that I was looking at my very model on their website N550-1286 and that it specifically says that the memory is user upgradeable. They they told me they would not cover any damages I might do in replacing the memory nor would the new memory be covered under warranty. Then, the tech told me that I need to talk to their telephone technical support people and that they would transfer me to them and I would have to pay one of the "plans." I told them that was not happening as they specifically say the unit is memory upgradeable by the user. I told him I had the solution, repacking the system in the box and returning it to the store and getting something else. I finally got feed up and hung up while on hold, repacked the unit and returned it.

I thought I might buy the other netbook by HP but it is just as inaccessible to replace the memory so I figured I would research this some more as I really want to unit.

There is one good video here: http://www.overclock.net/laptops-notebo ... e-ram.html

I'm going to try it when I get another one.... she makes it look so easy but it might be that its an older model.

nephx, Dec 16, 2010
  11. jayzap

pathy

hi guys,
    does anybody know which ram is the right one to upgrade a AOD255-N551 G25N ? Atom N550

i've seen that video clip on youtube where the girl shows how to open that beast. since than i'm a little bit confused. should i go for a 2GB 10600 or not.

i already swapped the HDD to a ST9500420AS.

i don't wanna waist my money for RAM what doesn't work. i've got still ram from 2 other aspire one here hanging around.

pathy, Dec 27, 2010
  12. jayzap

nephx

Crucial says: DDR3 PC3-8500 Acer says its user upgradeable but doesn't provide instructions.

Exact Crucial info:

CT1596442 2GB, 204-pin SODIMM Upgrade for a Acer Aspire One D255 (Intel Atom N550) DDR3 System

I haven't had a chance to install it yet but will in the next few days and post my results. Its cheap from their website. You can also go to Acer's website and get there part. I couldn't find it easily however.

nephx, Dec 27, 2010
  13. jayzap

pathy

thanks for your answer nephx,
    i had in the moment a look at the Crucial website and what should i say. please excuse my english. it's bull. because the database from Crucial says also for a AOD250 with a atom N270 - DDR2 PC2-5300 and i put last year 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 in two of them and they are running fine.

so after i discovered that i will go for the 10600 because it's easier to get one of them.

i wanna tell you after the shops are back open again.

pathy, Dec 27, 2010
  14. jayzap

pathy

and today i got my leson.
    first i went to scorptec in rowville and picked up a kingston 10600. got back home opened the gadget. swapped the memory and i didn't work. so back to the shop the changed it over to a apacer 8500. no probs with that at all. thanks guys. get back swapped the memory and it didn't work.

so now i'm sitting here in front of my new gadget and don't know what to do with it. bring it back to the store. plant some flowers in it.

if i had known that before i would have gone for a different brand. but i've got 2 D250 now since 2009 and they work fine with 2gb each. how should have known that they build now such a crap. nobody of them selfs knows actually whats in these plastic boxes.

i'm really angry at the moment.

pathy, Dec 29, 2010
  15. jayzap

pathy

next lesson!

acer sells them with different OS that one what i got here, came with windows 7 starter. this is finally the main issue. everything what comes with windows starter has maximum of ram 1gb.

if you get one with windows 7 home basic than you are a real lucky person. you have the possibility to upgrade your ram up to 2gb.

i learned my lesson 2day. i never go and buy anything from this company. wait a little bit longer, save a bit more and go and buy something whats worth the money.

now i spend the money for a netbook with a atom n550 what has a bottleneck in front of the memory. for what do i need a dual core cpu with a single gigabyte of ram? this gadget is useless.

cheers
    frank

pathy, Dec 29, 2010
  16. jayzap

Genom

Sorry to read you're having so much trouble upgrading the memory in your D255.

I installed the same exact memory that nephx posted in my Win 7 Starter D255 and all is well.

Genom, Dec 30, 2010
  17. jayzap

pathy

finally i ordered the 3rd one in nsw. he's a real nice bloke. now i can't wait until the ram arrives.

i keep my fingers crossed. he gives me also the guaranty that it will fit. if not he will give me full refund.

pathy, Dec 30, 2010
  18. jayzap

Swarvey Moderator

The question is, why buy a Dual-Core computer that only comes with Win7 Starter? Dual Core systems are for power users, most (if not all) of which will no doubt upgrade to a non-crippled OS like Win7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate. I agree Acer is a terrible company and does terrible business, but as with every computer purchase, it's up to you, the purchaser, to do the research and choose a machine that's right for you. If the computer you've got was suggested by a Techie, then find another techie cos he's clearly just out to make money.

You might want to take advantage of the Windows Anytime Upgrade option, you may be able to upgrade to a non-crippled version of Win7 relatively cheaply. Long story short, Win7 Starter, as confirmed by several other members, is the bottleneck, not the computer. Change your OS and you'll be very happy with your machine.

Swarvey, Dec 30, 2010
  19. jayzap

pathy

after the odyssey with upgrade able or not. which ram fits... finally the solution.

i try to explain it now.

first of all. acer is writing definitely funny stories on the website.

each of these machines will run 2gb of ram. if you use a tiny prog like CPU-Z you will see that the mainboard can actually handle 4096 mb of ram. but you will find only one slot and a atom at this stage can only handle 2gb of ram.

the main issue with the ram is you have to make sure you will get single rank memory. double rank doesn't work! exactly thats the point. most of sticks what you get is double rank.

finally i've got a 2gb ddr3 10600 single rank in my machine and it runs. if somebody says it runs only on 8500 than is the only reason he doesn't have 10600 as single rank in stock or he can't get it.

and a short thing to swarvey.
    i actually run win7 ultimate and ubuntu 10.10. i purchased these d255 with the dual to get a little bit more hp from the cpu side. i have since 2009 two d250's with each 2gb. so the machine was not totally new for me.

pathy, Dec 31, 2010
  20. jayzap

Swarvey Moderator

So if not Win7 Starter, where's the bottleneck?

Swarvey, Jan 1, 2011
Ask a Question