Media Master: screen goes black, cannot close it or turn off

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by nate_k, Sep 6, 2008.

1. nate_k

nate_k

i have the exact same problem. this has happened to me thrice already within a span of 2 days - when i attempted to open an mp3 file, media master went blank. i was not able to find how to end the process either from task manager. i then had to shut the system down and restart. i wonder if this is a genuine issue with this application. because if so, we could consider removing it altogether from the system and finding a more robust software for listening to music.

nate_k, Sep 6, 2008
  2. nate_k

pict1201

If you have a program that's mis-behaving in Linux it's easy to stop it. First you need the process ID (PID). To obtain this press Alt-F2 to bring up the Run dialogue box. Type Terminal and hit Run. This will bring up the Linux command line. Type

Code:
    ps -ef
    and you will get a list of all the running processes. You now need to identify the correct process. If you have an idea of when you started the program, look at the time column to narrow it down. For Media Master what you're looking for is 2 processes:

/usr/PCM/PCM4/pcm mvp -f %f
    pcm-player -port 41179 file

Identify the PID(s) and then type the following:

Code:
    kill 21960 22374
    Replace the numbers above with your own PID numbers.

You can kill multiple processes in one command as shown by separating their PID by a space. There should never be a need to reboot in Linux. Simply identify the PID of the rogue program and kill it to get control of your PC back. You can also play to your heart's content since all the important stuff is owned by 'root' and unless your operating as 'root' (the superuser), something you should not do, you can't damage the system.

pict1201, Sep 7, 2008
  3. nate_k

bigtuk

Thanks pict1201.As a lifelong windows fan I was beginning to think dementia was setting in. I've had my AA1 two weeks now and at last now I know how to open a terminal and recognise some geekish dos terms(I was BOUGHT UP ON MSDOS AND PL1) Now I can't wait for my Linux manual to come from Amazon. Good Game, Good Game, - Sorry!! :lol: Back to topic I too have had a black screen of death(seems more appropriate than a blue one. I had been running for several hours with the mains adapter plugged in, unecessary but a bad habit from an old NEC laptop with a duff battery when pop
    - blac screen and just the green light and a breathing optical mouse.It did seem kinda warm but not hot so I left it alone overnight and hey presto - back to normal. I don't know why but there it was. Might get me a laptop cooler but that seems a shame and will more than double the footprint. :?

bigtuk, Sep 8, 2008
Ask a Question