Media Master codecs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mar, Jan 25, 2009.

1. mar

mar

Hi
    I would like to know if somebody is able to play AVI files on the Limpus Media Master video player,
    are there plugins or codecs I can install for this player?
    thank you for your comments

mar, Jan 25, 2009
  2. mar

scudder2u

Hi Mar,
    I am sure there are some more knowledgeable but here is my experience with media master-it sucks.

There are several tweaks that are supposed to update the mplayer backbone but they never worked for me.

I went ahead and installed vlc according to macles.blogspot.com. Be sure to read all the comments prior to embarking on it if you do... a comment near the end tells you how to update your repositories so that the process works. Apparently they changed a bit since macles first posted it. I have been very happy with vlc. Plays just about anything you can throw at it. Good luck.

scudder2u, Jan 26, 2009
  3. mar

mar

Hi scudder2u,
    I think also that vlc player is a multiplayer an it is efficient, I used it a long time , I also installed it on Limpus system and it reads AVI files but I prefer Media Master player as its skin is cleaner and nicer, its simple interface is practical as it has large buttons, and I do not need to install software.
    I can play Mpeg and Wma files with it, and I am sure there is a trick to make it play Avi files too, I am triyng to find the location of the codecs it uses, maybe adding the essential-20071007.tar.bz2 codecs from the mplayer site will work.
    If somebody has an idea it will be really interresting because as I say the less software you install the better.

mar, Jan 26, 2009
  4. mar

Guest Guest

hi mar i am also a newbie to the acer and linux I followed the macles guide to install vlc and updated it but still could not play xvid files so this is what i have done right click on the home page >system>software updater untick every thing except media player when this has updated exit and select the terminal type "sudo yum install smplayer"
    exit after the installation then goto your avi/xvid file and right click onit and select play with smplayer

mike46

Guest, Jan 29, 2009
  5. mar

Rudge

This may not be very helpful, but...

You just need to find the correct codecs, do a search for codecs in whatever yum gui you're using and browse around. Using Gnome, there's a gstreamer codec package that you need. Installing Vlc should also solve your problem.

If all else fails, give up and install FC10!

Rudge, Feb 5, 2009
  6. mar

moejoe

I would also like to play some AVI's, but it seems to not want to install.

My Acer is all up to date, but I cannot even get anything to install.
    When i try through the command line it just tries all of the mirrors,
    then spits out an error. should i just install another OS? If so does
    Fedora 10 make use of the wireless card?

Sorry for the n00b questions,

Joe

moejoe, Mar 13, 2009
Ask a Question