Media Codecs?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by scooble, Sep 3, 2008.

1. scooble

scooble

I just purchased my Aspire one yesterday, and I am most impressed with it, however, I am unable to play all of my AVI, XVID and DIVX video files as the application says that it does not have the correct codecs. I am a complete Linux/Linpus newbie and this is the first time I have ever used this OS, so, I am a bit confused about the terminology "repos", "yum", "rpm" etc :?:
    I have however, done the right click menu hack.

Please could someone enlighten me as to how I can install the relevant codecs to make my videos work?

scooble, Sep 3, 2008
  2. scooble

floppyfreak

same problem here. better go on windows, where I can do almost everything?? :roll:

floppyfreak, Sep 4, 2008
  3. scooble

scooble

I am beginning to think the same thing....107 views so far and only one response. The whole linpus environment is completely alien to me and installing apps is a pain :(

scooble, Sep 4, 2008
  4. scooble

floppyfreak

I even used the admin function "add software" and tried to install some codecs, but the routines stopped because they could't resolve all dependencies...
    So i think I'm not going to be stupid and maintain two different platforms in my home office :)

floppyfreak, Sep 4, 2008
  5. scooble

Trond

6. scooble

floppyfreak

first method ended with errors, second was good. Thanks!
    if i would have knows how to copy text from the terminal I would have sent the errors :roll:

floppyfreak, Sep 5, 2008
  7. scooble

pyrollo

As Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V have a special meaning under terminal, you have to use Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V to copy/paste text from or into terminal.

pyrollo, Sep 18, 2008
Ask a Question