Me and Linpus, Day 3

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rjm, Aug 25, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

Hi.

The whole "customize Linux" thing has officially driven me batty. Everything you do seems to break as many features as it creates. I've decided to sit back and chill with the default config, and wait until Acer gets their act together so I can download and install a bunch of nice apps from teh acerone website as promised.

However there are a couple of things I couldnt live without: Skype and VLC player. I can happily report that you can install these with the minimum of fuss and bother, with no side effects, and no need even to enable advance mode. I have written instructions, for my benefit as much as anything,

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1978

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1973

as you can see, both icons are happily there in the launcher, so it all works just like the pre-installed apps.

[attachment=0:3bmjmbrn]DSC_3146s.jpg[/attachment:3bmjmbrn]

as an aside, in group-app.xml there are some facinating hints a all the software Acer either a) plans to release to us at a later date or b) thought about preinstalling but gave up on for some reason or another. Internet radio sounds especially promising. Have a peek for yourself:

alt-F2, type terminal, type "mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml" and have a look for yourself. Don't worry, without "sudo" in front there's no chance of making any permanant edits.

rjm, Aug 25, 2008
  2. rjm

rebuilder

is there something you did you specifically know to have broken Linpus? Maybe someone here can help do what you wanted and still keep the system functioning.

rebuilder, Aug 25, 2008
  3. rjm

rjm

Thanks, but it not really a specific softwareissue. Basically I got ahead of myself, trying to ge back to a familiar "ubuntu" style desktop ... the A1 kinda fell apart at the seams once I disabled xfce. So I've decided to stick with the basic quad-launcher interface for now. Who knows I might get to like it. It is growing on me.

rjm, Aug 25, 2008
  4. rjm

Ace_Rimmer

rjm --

Thanks for the nice, concise guides! This info is all available on the forums, but is scattered around in different threads, so it is nice to have in one place.

One thought: looking at group-apps.xml, it seems that none of the apps are assigned to number "7", so when adding apps myself I have skipped "7" also. I assume this is so that the second row is indented rather than having an icon fall directly below the arrow button, but that is just a guess.

I just "printed" your guides (using cups-pdf) so that I can sneaker-net them over to my One later. :eek:

Thanks again! :D

Ace_Rimmer, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question