Massive problems booting Fedora (and others) from USB stick

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bolero, Feb 21, 2009.

1. bolero

bolero

I'm having real problems to get anything to boot from USB stick. The slot on the left doesn't seem to work, most of what I get is an empty screen after the first syslinux line flash. Same for one of the two USB slots on the right. One of them works.
    However, first USB stick didn't work (although it worked on another machine). Next USB stick works and boots me into Fedora 10 xfce spin desktop. However, I can't use anything on that desktop. I always get an input/output error. The only thing I can get up is the Fedora menu, but nothing will start from it, not even Terminal. If I start Terminal from the launch bar I get that error I mentioned. I even get this error when I want to restart. I got the same error on the other stick when booting into it on another machine, so this doesn't seem to indicate a problem with the stick or the machine, but something that is generally wrong. The sticks were all created by the liveusb-creator on Windows. Might that software have a bug?
    I was able to change to a console but couldn't login. So, I tried to boot a second time. This time I can't boot anymore. I repeatedly get the error "mount: you must specify the filesystem type. bug in initramfs detected"
    Could the hardware (the L150) be defect? As long as I was using Linpus everything seemed to be working fine (until I locked myself out from it, that's why I'm now trying to boot in some Linux and fix that).
    Thanks for any hints.

bolero, Feb 21, 2009
  2. bolero

bolero

I'm coming to the conclusion that the Windows version of the liveusb-creator software must have a serious bug. There's also a bugzilla open on it for a long time with lots of people adding to it that have the same problem.
    Has anyone tried it with success? If yes, which version with which OS on it?
    I tried on a third stick and that produces the "Cannot find root file system! Create symlink /dev/root". Not only on this but on other machines as well. At least it seems that this stick consistently boots from any of the three USB slots.
    I also noticed that usblive-creator configured this stick (4 GB Cruzer) to behave as USB-HDD while it configured the other stick (8 GB Bestmedia) as USB-FDD (and the first one I used, a 1 GB stick, as USB-HDD).
    Boot with a USB-FDD stick and you get "mount: you must specify the filesystem type. Bug in initramfs /init detected". Boot with a USB-HDD stick and you get the symlink message.

bolero, Feb 22, 2009
  3. bolero

bolero

Yes, the liveusb-creator 3.2 for Windows is broken. Don't waste your time on it. Use http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ it works perfect. I tried it with Puppy Linux and Fedora 10.

bolero, Feb 23, 2009
Ask a Question