Mandriva 2009 RC2

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mzc, Oct 1, 2008.

1. mzc

mzc

Hi everyone,

This message may not be relevant to the topic group.. BUT I tried Mandriva 2009 RC2 ... almost all the things that anyone want to run smoothly is running out of the box in this recently released Mandriva Linux.. I just want to share this with everyone...that's all :D

mz

mzc, Oct 1, 2008
  2. mzc

SlCKB0Y

what wasnt working?
    suspend/hibernate?

SlCKB0Y, Oct 1, 2008
  3. mzc

DunklerProphet

how long is the boottime? is wlan working? how long does the akku last?

DunklerProphet, Oct 1, 2008
  4. mzc

westonpf

Wlan is working but without the LED, boot time on my 8Gb SSD (slow Intel) is around 30sec before usable, not as fast as Linpus but better than TinyXP was. Shut Down is about the same but I have set it to shutdown when I close the lid so I don't really have to watch it shut down.

Hibernate doesn't work for me but suspend does. Sound including Mic are working and are OK with Skype.

My E160 3G USB modem works with the only set up being APN/Username/Password.

Bluetooth works with my cheap Mikomi USB dongle.

Install was around 3Gb and took around 2 hours to complete. Installing from the live CD doesn't give any package options so there is some stuff that could go and other stuff that I have added. There seem to be enough RPMs to cover most needs and the Fedora/Redhat packages work in many cases.

I formatted as Linux Native (Ext2) and used a 512Mb Swap partition, apps start up quickly and run smoothly including video. Don't use Ext3 with SSD I tried and it kept hanging whilst it was writing back to the SSD.

I think I will be keeping Mandriva on my system, for the time being at least.

westonpf, Oct 1, 2008
  5. mzc

mrFlibble

I've also installed this on my AAO 8Gb SSD 1.5Gb RAM.

I installed / on ssd as ext2, no swap, using a ram disk for /tmp, /var/tmp, /var/log and my 16GB SDcard for /home.

WIFI (no light), webcam, mic, sounds all worked out of the box.

I played around with e17 etc. but in the end I've found gnome, with compiz and awn is fast enough and looks good enough to show off to passing folks :D

The only problem I've got right now is that when I plug headphones in I get sound coming from both the headphones and the speakers. I've read about this issue before in these forums but cannot find the solution right now...any ideas?

mrFlibble, Oct 1, 2008
  6. mzc

melhiore

Boot time is horrible :) But rest of the stuff is OK, working smoothly...
    WLAN works out-of-the-box like in previous version...
    Accu TBH last for 2,5 - 3h depending on usage - is fine for me...

melhiore, Oct 1, 2008
  7. mzc

mike987

How it looks like? The previous version on 9" screen was looking terrible for me, neither with GNOME nor KDE. Could you upload some screens?
    Does card-reader work fully functionally? What about Wifi switch?
    Stable release will be in few days, maybe is it worth removing Ubuntu :?:

mike987, Oct 1, 2008
  8. mzc

westonpf

Left card is working no problem but right card doesn't. I have since read that having cards inserted at time of install results in working cards (I can't confirm this).

Screen looks fine but there are some apps that just don't fit the 1024x600 resolution well.

The wlan light works when I run from live CD but not when installed, I assume this connected with the list of hardware items that are disabled on install.

westonpf, Oct 1, 2008
  9. mzc

westonpf

If using SSD model turn of the snapshot utility. I coudn't work out why my drive was rapidly running out of space and my system slowing down.

Mandriva has a snapshot feature that backs up your home directory on a regular basis but this fills up the drive. Over a period of 2 days I managed to get as low as 600Mb free space, after turning off feature and deleting snapshots back up to almost 5Gb free and running much faster again.

westonpf, Oct 1, 2008
  10. mzc

hkalnes

This sounds great, and I decided to give it a try. I downloaded the ISO for the Gnome Live-CD from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Mandriva-Linux-2009-Download-3418.html, and used UNetBootIn to create a bootable USB memory stick (which has worked nicely before). But it just stops booting, both on the A110L and on my Dell laptop. After some initialization, the start up screen is displayed for about one minute without progress, and then I get the following message:

Cannot run /etc/init.d/rcS : No such file or directory

When I enter the console to check, I find the etc directory, but no subdirectory init.d

I have tried redownloading the ISO, but still the same problem.

Where did you guys download from? Has anybody had the same problem?

Thanx,
    Helge

hkalnes, Oct 1, 2008
  11. mzc

mzc

rc2 can be downloaded in the official mirror sites.. check the mandriva 2009 wiki... it's worth a try. I havent fully explore it yet, but i'm pretty satisfied with it, although there probably lot's of things to tweak for full satisfaction

mzc, Oct 2, 2008
  12. mzc

hkalnes

Thanx! Tried a couple more downloads, still with no success :(

Ubuntu 8.10 beta1 was released today, so I decided to give that a go in stead. Here, I had no problems booting the Live-CD from the USB stick. It's being installed right now. I might try Mandriva 2009 again when it's officially released, before I decide which one to use. Sick and tired of Linpus now...

hkalnes, Oct 3, 2008
  13. mzc

Jaycb

Hkalnes, how did your install go? Is it Canonical's plan for ibex to work "out of the box" with the AAO?

Jaycb, Oct 3, 2008
  14. mzc

mrFlibble

Hi all,

a quick update on my last post in case anyone is having similar issues.

I resolved the problems I was having with headphones/speakers/mic by adding
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto
    to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base as suggested in the Ubuntu install guide.
    I found this was the only setting that allowed headphones/speakers to swap cleanly just by removing/inserting the jack and leave the mic working.

Skype is now a joy to use (though the video from my webcam can get a little choppy).

Also, I was a little rash in declaring gnome+awn to be ok. It's not too bad, but Firefox scrolls really really slowly. It seems to be a known issue with compiz, but I couldn't resolve it so went back to E17. I downloaded some nice themes and so now I've got a fast, clean and usable system that looks good. Just need to get the boot time to < 30 seconds and I'm done.

At least until I break it again through another "optimization" :D

mrFlibble, Oct 3, 2008
  15. mzc

hkalnes

The good thing about the Ubuntu ISO's is they work quite well from a USB-stick created with UNetBootin (on my Windows machine).

I first tried to install the standard Ubuntu (with the Gnome desktop). The install went well, and after booting up - as expected - the WiFi wouldnt't work. But the overall feel was that it's just too much for this little machine.

So yesterday I installed XUbuntu instead. It looks and feels quite good, and seems just as responsive as Linpus. Boot time is about 40 seconds to login, and then about 20 after password entry (just like Ubuntu on an older laptop). I formatted with ext2 using no swap at all (as suggested in many threads). I haven't had time to play around with it much yet, but still haven't been able to get the WiFi working. I've tried both the blacklist ath_pci approach, and the Petaramesh kernel. Still no WiFi, no networks detected and unable to connect to my own. And also, it doesn't detect USB memory sticks correctly.

So now I'm not sure what to do, whether to spend some time tweaking Xubuntu, or to try Mandriva again. I've seen it metioned that even the 2008.1 version should work out of the box, and UNetBootin supports creating a live USB stick with this version. I don't really need the machine next week, so maybe I'll wait until next weekend and see if the 2009 version is officially released as planned.

hkalnes, Oct 5, 2008
  16. mzc

mzc

hkalnes,

the mandriva 2009 RC2 works on wifi. I did not use any USB flash drive and bought an external DVD combo writer instead (it's cheap nowadays) installation is very smooth. Like I mentioned before most of the worries in Ubuntu works out-of-the box in Mandriva 09 RC2. only thing I observed is that powerpoint files does not work out properly in the Oo Impress bundle. the AA0 wifi swith /LED not working, external screen not working, I tried KDE - Kopete works almost like the Messenger bundled with Linpus: e.g. webcam and voice were working..

Although Ubuntu is coming up with 8.10 soon.. this the goodies in Mandriva's new release might also be available in the new Ubuntu 8.10

mzc, Oct 5, 2008
  17. mzc

Andysan

Is anyone aware when the final release of Mandriva 2009 is expected please, or will it just be a "suprise"?

I am thinking of installing it then, but keep hearing things about the fans not working properly (cooking the One) and the SSD being throttled. I'm being padantic I'm sure, but how can I ensure that i don't kill off my Aspire?

Thanks.

Andysan, Oct 6, 2008
  18. mzc

westonpf

Don't know about release date but the fan seems to work much like it did in Linpus and Win XP and changes when heavy apps are running. SSD works fine providing you use Ext2 and not Ext3, Ext3 makes a lot of write-backs to the drive so slows down but with Ext it works fine.

westonpf, Oct 7, 2008
  19. mzc

Andysan

Andysan, Oct 9, 2008
  20. mzc

donec

I have been looking for a way to run Mandriva from a live CD but all I could find is an install CD.

donec, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question