Mandriva 2009 RC2 works...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by feed_sparky, Sep 27, 2008.

1. feed_sparky

feed_sparky

As did RC1, but RC2 seems to boot a little faster. Wireless and camera work out of the box. I can't wait until the mini release for netbooks!

feed_sparky, Sep 27, 2008
  2. feed_sparky

radu

Yes, would be nice to have a netbook version, preferably having everything compiled with the Intel compiler, optimized for Atom.

radu, Sep 27, 2008
  3. feed_sparky

mports

Quick question, does everything work or does it suffer from the same issues as Ubuntu - I could be very tempted to give it a try?

mports, Sep 27, 2008
  4. feed_sparky

feed_sparky

Yes, everything works right out of the box, wireless, webcam, sound, mic, the only thing that didn't work is the card readers, which I understand is an easy fix... I'm just lazy at the moment and don't have a need for the readers. Oh, and suspend works too!

feed_sparky, Sep 27, 2008
  5. feed_sparky

tot31

For the card readers to work you must insert the card before booting as it doesn't support hotplugging.

tot31, Sep 27, 2008
  6. feed_sparky

Jack Vermicelli

What are the boot and suspend times like? How about battery life? If those are reasonable and there's a fix for the readers, sound like something I might give a try, for a real linux install without worrying about breaking Linpus.

Jack Vermicelli, Sep 28, 2008
  7. feed_sparky

feed_sparky

My boot times are about 30-35 secs from a cold start, and resume is about the same as linpus. I just use my AA1 for lite tasks and the battery has been lasting me about 2 to 2.5 hours.

feed_sparky, Sep 28, 2008
  8. feed_sparky

Andysan

Hi all, :)

I've never used Mandriva before but have been impressed from the little playing around i've done in the Live environment. Can anyone offer any comparisons with Ubuntu please? Also, my Live CD hangs at shutdown, but thats just a Live thing, right?

I am seriously considering dual booting this with Linpus. Can anyone advise of the optimal configuration please, i.e. i think its ext2 (instead of 3) and no swap, am i right?

Also, could i map both "home" directories in Linpus/Mandriva to the same location, even if thats an SD card please - I'm only rocking about 1GB of space right now, but could probably boost that to 2GB by removing some stuff.

Thanks!

Andysan, Sep 28, 2008
  9. feed_sparky

feed_sparky

Well, in my opinion all Linux distro's are the same, some just use different desktop enviroments (KDE, Gnome, XFCE) and different package systems (Ubuntu uses .deb, mandriva uses .rpm...etc) Mandriva is just as capable as Ubuntu in my opinion, and it has uber system configuration tools and nice hardware detection.

My live cd hung at shutdown too, but after the install it was fine. I used that partition set-up, ext2 no swap. After install with an 8gb SSD i had about 5.5gb of free space left.

I am still a newb so sharing home directories is over my head :D hope I helped a little.

feed_sparky, Sep 28, 2008
  10. feed_sparky

Andysan

Hi feed_sparky,

I might give it a try after I've backed up my Linpus stuff. Linpus is great for what it it, but it's just a bit too restrictive for my likings. Have you found anything that doesn't work please feed_sparky - i guess hot swappable MMC's, Wi-Fi switch don't work?

2.5GB isn't bad, i could probably recoup that and dual boot Linpus and Mandriva i hope. Would removing Mandriva just be a case of deleting the partition and removing the entry from the grub config?

Thanks all!

Andysan, Sep 28, 2008
  11. feed_sparky

dack001

This sound realy interesting.
    I don't mind the non-working hot-plug function and 2 hours Batterylife seems okay with me.
    So, is it possible to install Mandriva 2009 RC2 without an external dvd drive?
    i have an 4 gig usb drive and an external usb hdd, would this work and if yes, could anyone give me some clues or tutorials on how to do this?

P.S: i have the 120 gig linpus modell of the AAO.

dack001, Sep 28, 2008
  12. feed_sparky

scottro

I remember when I was considering doing this--I found a tutorial somewhere. It's a bit complex. :)

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=21344

Start with post #3, I think. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with unetbootin, a known bug that hasn't been fixed yet. Otherwise, it would be simple.

scottro, Sep 28, 2008
  13. feed_sparky

radu

Just get an external USB DVD reader, they are very, very useful things, and not too expensive either :)

radu, Sep 28, 2008
  14. feed_sparky

mzc

This is good news for everyone, at least there will be an alternative to Linpus. I don't mind how restrictive Linpus is, but the support is really too slow. We have to rely into community support, which should not be the case for ODMs/OEMs, like Dell and HP or even Asus. Having heard that Mandrake is reacting fast to market trends is a good sign.... everyone will be on their toes... :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the official release of Mandriva 2009 in October.

mzc, Sep 29, 2008
  15. feed_sparky

SteveSol

SteveSol, Sep 29, 2008
  16. feed_sparky

Andysan

Heres another stupid question, if i install RC2 now can i just update when the '09 release is...er...released? :p

Anyone actually dual-booted Linpus successfully with Mandriva please?

Andysan, Sep 29, 2008
  17. feed_sparky

mzc

Andysan,

dual-boot works. I just used a crappy kingston 4gb traveller USB drive for Mandriva, did not touch the SSD, even for grub. I've chosen gnome, but i think this does not matter; you can choose KDE or gnome during install. everything is working out of the box, except for the wifi led( wifi working except for led status). Mandriva did a pretty good job on this...and this just a pre-release so definitely the final release would be definitely better...

spread the word :lol:

mz

mzc, Sep 30, 2008
  18. feed_sparky

Andysan

Hi mz,

Is the USB recognised as an installable drive then? That sounds cool but i've only got 2GB drives knocking around. :oops:

Andysan, Sep 30, 2008
  19. feed_sparky

dack001

Did you use an old version of Mandriva or the latest RC2?
    If the second is true, could you give me some hints how you did achive this?
    The tutorials posted above are a little bit confusing.

dack001, Oct 1, 2008
  20. feed_sparky

mzc

Hi Guys,

USB drive is recognized.. instead of using grub.. i used F12 during boot if I want Linpus/SSD or Mandriva 2009 RC2/ USB drive.

The usb drive I used had 4gb.. after install I got aroound 1Gb+ left. I did not do any special/other things other than the standard install.. just choose the USB drive during install.... the official mandriva site is a good reference.. I also have issues with the other drive - I actually cannot mount the other drives (SSD and SD card), did not have time until now.....

My purpose of testing Mandriva was regarding multiple monitor issues and OpenOffice Impress presentation monitor issues on Linpus, which is partially resolved in Mandriva - there is a better resolution GUI in Mandriva but not properly configured.

Overall, there are lots of things that can be done that will make MAndriva absolutely better that Ubuntu and Linpus. The community just have to make it work, as for me, I will just post anything I figured out or discovered from other forums.

It's worth the try....that's for now :)

mz

mzc, Oct 1, 2008
Ask a Question