Mandriva 2009 Gnome - Very Slow Wireless?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by pasykes, Nov 17, 2008.

1. pasykes

pasykes

Hello,

I have installed Mandriva 2009 Gnome on my Aspire One, via an external CD drive, with the LAN cable attached during install.

All went well, with the additional downlaods being installed (apparently) during first boot.

My problem is that the wireless, whilst working, is very slow. Web pages take a very long time to load up (slower than on an old 56K dial up), but once loaded, links within the website (eg bbc news) are reasonably fast.

Has anyone else experienced a similar wifi trouble?

Is there a quick fix and / or an alternate way to get the wifi working?

Any help would be appreciated, as aside from this, Mandriva 2009 Gnome looks as if it could have been built for the Aspire One.

Thanks.

pasykes, Nov 17, 2008
  2. pasykes

Tamrac

Hmmm.... that's odd. Mine works at full speed. Same as my desktop PCs. Test using speedtest.net , on wired then wifi. See if there's really a difference.

Tamrac, Nov 17, 2008
  3. pasykes

rpkemp

Have a look here:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Erra ... rowsing.29

It may be an IPv6 issue.

I'm pretty sure I haven't noticed a similar problem on my A150, but then I may have automatically disabled IPv6 when I installed ... the old memory isn't what it used to be. ;-)

rpkemp, Nov 17, 2008
  4. pasykes

pasykes

Hi Tamrac,

Am I correct in thinking that as long as I have the LAN connected during install and first boot (so that the additional downloads can be fetched), there is nothing else that needs to be done (eg tweak or update wise) to get the wireless working optimally, aside from running the configure update tool?

Thanks

pasykes, Nov 17, 2008
  5. pasykes

Tamrac

Nope. No tweaks on the wifi needed. And you did the right thing in plugging in the wired LAN on setup. That's the best way to install Mandriva. See if you're router has some non common settings like MTU not at 1500 or something.... It's a long shot I know, but just to help iron out the possibilities.

Tamrac, Nov 17, 2008
  6. pasykes

rpkemp

Out of interest, why? Just to get the latest updates? I expect It's worth doing if convenient, but I've never done it and have never had a problem.

rpkemp, Nov 17, 2008
  7. pasykes

Tamrac

Since the AAO's LAN adapter is a standard Realtec, the drivers are pretty much already stable and reliable... during install there are LOTS of stuff being downloaded. Using the Wifi in this scenario is just too risky... every so often those tiny slowdowns and quirks affect the installation. I really noticed this since I installed Mandriva 2009 3x on my AAO, for different reasons.

Tamrac, Nov 17, 2008
  8. pasykes

rpkemp

I agree that having a LAN cable plugged in during a network install would be wise - but the OP was installing from a CD. I should have thought there was marginally more chance of the whole process falling over if you attempt to download updates during the installation process rather than just waiting until after the first boot. I think it's safer to just bypass the 'install updates' option that's offered during the installation procedure. In which case you don't need to worry about the network connection at all.

To the OP:

I had no hassle with the Mandriva drivers for the wireless card, but I switched to using ndiswrapper with a Windows driver because it makes the little light shine, which is sometimes useful. It's just possible it might solve your little problem too. A working driver can be downloaded from here.

http://download2.dvd-driver.cz/atheros/ ... 0.3.85.zip

The ndiswrapper package should be installed by default on Mandriva, I suspect. Instructions for loading the ndiswrapper driver are here and there on the internet - you will almost certainly need to blacklist the existing driver for the card before loading ndiswrapper. If you get stumped you could always post back here. ;-)

rpkemp, Nov 17, 2008
  9. pasykes

Tamrac

Mandriva installation still downloads stuff from the net during installation from the live CD....

Tamrac, Nov 17, 2008
  10. pasykes

rpkemp

Ah right, I see. That's weird.

rpkemp, Nov 17, 2008
  11. pasykes

pasykes

Hello,

All working fine now due to this board.

Thank you for Tamrac and Rpkemp for your help.

For future information the problem and the fix was the IPv6 issue that Rpkemp linked to.

Regards,

pasykes

pasykes, Nov 17, 2008
  12. pasykes

donec

I use the Mandriva drivers and when the internet is accessed then the LED lights. When I click on a link and watch the LED then I see it flash while the site is being downloaded.

donec, Nov 17, 2008
  13. pasykes

rpkemp

Hmm, I wonder why it is that some people get working lights and some people don't. Different hardware?

I get the impression that some people have two wifi lights working - one on the right and one on the left. For me, only the right hand one has ever worked, even when running Linpus. Nothing short of switching to ndiswrapper made it work in Mandriva.

rpkemp, Nov 17, 2008
  14. pasykes

donec

I believe most people want the LED's to stay lit when they are connected. I believe the left LED is for 3G.

donec, Nov 18, 2008
  15. pasykes

jhedrotten

mine does not have any issues about wireless but does it really make any difference if you install mandriva offline, wired and wireless?

jhedrotten, Nov 21, 2008
  16. pasykes

donec

I think some people are trying to install Mandriva via a network setup and in this instance it could make a difference. However! If you install from a CD player via the Live CD then it should not make any difference and was not slow for me as I did it that way and before I started the install I setup my wireless so when I booted the wireless was working.

donec, Nov 21, 2008
Ask a Question