Making XP recovery disk

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jpconard, Feb 7, 2009.

1. jpconard

jpconard

I just bought this PC last week, but I don't remember a recovery disk in the box and I don't remember the PC "encouraging" me to create one, like on previous computers. I have an external CD/DVD drive so it is no problem making them. How do I do this? I didn't see in software in the programs that mention creating a backup recovery disk.

jpconard, Feb 7, 2009
  2. jpconard

srvaao

The only options of which I'm aware are

1. Buy recovery disk from Acer which I believe gets you a copy of the recovery partition to restore to factory defaults.
    2. Buy recovery program such as Paragon Hard Disk manager Suite, Acronis True Image, or Norton Ghost and make backup as well as recovery CD/USB drive. This has the obvious advantage of backing up your system as-is, after applications and data have been put on the drive.
    3. Use linux-based system to make recovery CD/USB drive

I've used #2 with Paragon software. I haven't had to recover anything, but it seems to work well and I liked the features better than Acronis.

srvaao, Feb 7, 2009
  3. jpconard

ladibug

There should be an Acererecovery program on your computer. My new one AOA 150-1784 had an icon on the desktop. It gives complete instructions for creating a recovery disk. I haven't done it yet-I'm afraid I'll totally mess up something. :lol: it wouldn't be the first time.

ladibug, Feb 13, 2009
  4. jpconard

k1221n

I dont own an acer but I looked at one at the store and there is a recovery program on the desktop give it a shot and tell us how it goes.

k1221n, Feb 17, 2009
  5. jpconard

yachtpro

Take a look at some of the other threads. As far as I know, even though the partition is there, and the eRecovery is in that hidden partition, you CANNOT make any kind of "recovery" disks from the Aspire One. They sometimes are free by calling Acer, but most times they won't give them away any more. Disks are $20 and $10 shipping (OUCH!).

yachtpro, Feb 18, 2009
  6. jpconard

jmr166

there is a link in this forum to download the acer xp recovery disk. It works perfectly as i have had to use it twice, both incidents were by my own making and nothing to do with my machine. i just burnt the image to disk. I updated some time ago to bios 3309 and i found that i could not access the hidden acer recovery partition alt -f10) when i had my 1st crash so it was a useless tool and a waste of space literally but the recovery xp was perfect for returning the system to a clean windows state. Incidentally everything worked fine with window default drivers but i updated the acer software/drivers from the acer site and windows updates and the machine was great. I then planned for future crashes by installing windows back up and creating a full c drive and system state back up which i store on another pc. I then got a massive computer virus infection (yes i should no better) which wrecked the pc including system restore. I just popped the disk in (external drive) and did a clean xp install then reinstalled the back up prog from the windows folder on the c drive then reloaded the back up and everything was back perfect which saved me days of work. I have subsequently done as the result of another helpfull thread on here is to load the rescue partion on the harddrive so i can boot to that without having to use the external disk. i have reformatted the wasted partition that hheld the acer back up and now use that for my personal folders which saves having to back up that stuff then. hope my back and restore info helps you or someone else in anyway.

james

jmr166, Feb 18, 2009
  7. jpconard

LAZ

Just got them free from Acer, no problem. If your purchase was less than 90 days ago, it's worth trying.

LAZ, Feb 19, 2009
  8. jpconard

mychance

That's the problem with the AAO and that's what gives this question all its revelancy: the Acer recovery program on the Aspire One has been removed of the burning disk option.

My way to go is the same are others suggested on the same thread:

1. Buy a good backup program ( I personally go with True Image)

2. On the first move with the Aspire One, make all the software installs, windows updates and all your necessary tweaks (network passwords, mailing customization, etc) AND MAKE A FULL BACKUP. You are now in business. Consider that the day in a half or so you spent on installation and serials retrieving will be reduced to a few clicks and a 20 minute coffee pause with the backup restauration.

This may also give you the confidence to try some Linux distros that you can install easily in Dual boot along with your XP system. Chances are you will enjoy it a lot like I do but if you don't, a few clicks and a coffee pause and it's all over :)

mychance, Feb 22, 2009
  9. jpconard

rcbif

I e-mailed acer also and they are sending me disks too. They also registered my product and sent me some free software dowloads like wordperfect, photomorph(cool program) and a few others.

rcbif, Feb 22, 2009
  10. jpconard

soxrocker

...Just got off the phone with Acer. Since I was within the 1st 90 days of purchase they are sending me the disks free of charge. They were rather nice about it as well.

soxrocker, Feb 24, 2009
  11. jpconard

Camo Yoshi

That's great, now I can have more peace in mind. :)

Camo Yoshi, Mar 5, 2009
  12. jpconard

rcbif

just for acers credit I did revieve my disks a few weeks ago.

rcbif, Mar 10, 2009
  13. jpconard

littleJames

I called and asked for my disks today. There is a two-week backorder, but they are sending them for free. The tech support guy was so nice - I had forgotten to register my Aspire, so he did it for me over the phone. How refreshing.

littleJames, Mar 21, 2009
  14. jpconard

MaU

what's the 1800 number??

MaU, Apr 5, 2009
  15. jpconard

AntLass

I'm not sure which # they called, but I found these:

Acer America Corp.
    333 W. San Carlos, Suite 1500
    San Jose, CA 95110

For questions about purchasing product through the store.acer.com site or to track a purchase, please call:
    866-514-2237

For Technical Support assistance with an Acer product, please call:
    800-816-2237

AntLass, Apr 21, 2009
Ask a Question