Making Vi the default editor on Linpus Linux Terminal

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ed_o_brain, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ed_o_brain

ed_o_brain

Hi,

Firstly thanks for a great forum. I've had my Aspire one for a couple of days, and already his has proved to be a great resource.

I've used Unix extensively (ksh) and I'm just getting to grips with Linpus Linux. I've found the terminal, uninstalled some of the packages I don't want e.g. games and non-English language support in order to save space on my basic 110aw.

I'm struggling to change the default command line editor for the terminal from what presumably is emacs to vi(m). Using 'set -o vi' works for the current session, but is there not a config file I can change somewhere to save me from doing this each time I open a terminal session?

I have tried editing the .bash_profile under /home/user but to no avail. I added the line 'set -o vi' to the end of it.

Please could you suggest where I might be going wrong?

Thanks
    Ed

ed_o_brain, Jan 1, 2009
  2. ed_o_brain

daldred

You need to set the bash environment variable $EDITOR. In your .bashrc file, add this line:

Code:
    export EDITOR="vi"

daldred, Jan 1, 2009
  3. ed_o_brain

ed_o_brain

Thank you!

Actually, adding that line made vi the default editor but not the command line editor.
    In order to do this, I added 'set -o vi' to the .bashrc file.

So it was just simply a case of editing the wrong file to begin with!

In any case, help much appreciated. Apologies for being a n00b!

ed_o_brain, Jan 1, 2009
Ask a Question