Making USB stick with a Mac OSX computer?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Hyperjoe, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Hyperjoe

Hyperjoe

I want to make a USB stick for restore. Can I do it with a mac?

Hyperjoe, Aug 22, 2008
  2. Hyperjoe

Sid

An intel mac should be fine - be careful the recovery cd can wipe the HDD if you answer questions incorrectly.
    You can also hang a CD/dvd drive on the One.

Sid, Aug 22, 2008
  3. Hyperjoe

annafil

Actually, macs don't boot the recovery CD properly.

On macs you need to use VMWare Fusion (VirtualBox doesn't seem to work, unfortunately :()

annafil, Aug 31, 2008
  4. Hyperjoe

joost68

I can confirm that my Intel Mac (a Macbookpro) boots the recovery DVD correctly. When booting op with the DVD in the computer hold the C key to be able to boot the DVD. After that making the recovery USB-stick was easy and worked flawlessly. So no trouble with virtual machines if you have a Intel Mac.

joost68, Sep 11, 2008
  5. Hyperjoe

ovidius

Made my recovery stick on an Intel Mac Mini. No problem at all. I suppose that most people who claim the CD would not boot, just don't know how to choose to boot from a CD on a mac in general. Or is there anyone who really did try it on his/her mac and it did not work (using option key or the menu key on the remote control)?

ovidius, Sep 13, 2008
  6. Hyperjoe

annafil

I'm pretty sure I know how to use the Mac too boot a CD :) I've done it hundeds of times. I'd select the disk option, it would give me a black screen and blinking cursor next. Glad it worked for you guys, but since I found a howto on a big blog about hwo to boot an AAO disk in VMWare, I assume I'm not the only one with the issue.

it's of course always possible it refused to boot because the slot loading drive scratched it at some point during shutdown. Just if it doesn't boot for someone else too - there's another way :)

annafil, Sep 13, 2008
  7. Hyperjoe

linuxempire

Yes you can - i worked fine for me on my Macbook Pro. Just place the acer recover disk in the drive. Restart holding down the Option key and choose the disk and hit enter. :)

linuxempire, Sep 23, 2008
  8. Hyperjoe

cam

I have a Black MacBook 2.16ghz, and my trackpad refuses to respond when I boot up from the Acer DVD. I'm tearing my hair out! Any advice?

cam, Oct 24, 2008
  9. Hyperjoe

cam

In answer to my own question - I just plugged in a usb mouse and everything worked like a dream - it seems the trackpad was not supported by the Linpus recovery DVD.

cam, Oct 25, 2008
Ask a Question