making recovery disks

Discussion in 'Windows' started by raa_oscar, May 7, 2009.

1. raa_oscar

raa_oscar

ny new acer aspire one xp edition includes a program that makes recovery CDs. However, I can't get it to recognize the dvd drive on my wireless network. Am I missing something or do I need to purchase a USB DVD burner to make backup disks?

raa_oscar, May 7, 2009
  2. raa_oscar

synspy

I would just go ahead and buy an external dvd drive not to expensive these days and you know its going to work with no questions asked

synspy, May 8, 2009
  3. raa_oscar

garrettp

For $9.99 plus SH you can get a IDE to USB adapter and use a CDrom from and old computer (or take the one out of your desktop to use and then put it back). Image below and I have two of the adapters :)
    [​IMG]

garrettp, May 8, 2009
  4. raa_oscar

neal22

wow they really don't exaggerate when they say the fingerprint marks are bad hey???? haha

neal22, May 8, 2009
  5. raa_oscar

raa_oscar

IDE to USB adapter huh? I didn't know such a thing existed. I was looking for USB DVD drives. I gve it a search. Thanks.

raa_oscar, May 8, 2009
  6. raa_oscar

garrettp

Where are my manners, the link is below. It is not the same one that I have but I like it better. Both of the adapters have a power supply but the one I have has both connections for a 3.5 drive and also a 2.5 drive. And you cannot get power to the 2.5 drive so it will not power up.

Adapter here at newegg

And no they do not lie about the finger prints, I call it smudge art ;) I can honestly say that I have never cleaned this netbook since I got it January 1st :D There really is no need to clean it since 5 minutes later it will look the same again.

garrettp, May 8, 2009
  7. raa_oscar

raa_oscar

has anyone tried using a usb memory stick to burn the recovery image? the OS complains that it can't find an optical drive, so I suspect that won't work.

raa_oscar, May 11, 2009
Ask a Question