Make sure your Windows 10 Start Menu does not exceed 512 items

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

You might want to check this article out, I had read about the 512 items issue when this OS had been just released, but I thought this would be fixed soon. But t seems this issue hasn't been resolved yet :/

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/16/make-sure-your-windows-10-start-menu-does-not-exceed-512-items/

Sefie, Sep 17, 2015
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

Whoa..in a strange way, I am glad I am not on Window laptop right now. There seemed to be too many problems with all of these updates. I have no time for any issues right now with caring for my son and my mom, I barely have time to breathe!

IcyBC, Sep 18, 2015
  3. Sefie

Lun

Time to count my Start menu items :|

It really does make it an incomplete OS when something like this has to be worried about. I don't even use the start screen a lot anymore (kinda got used to not clicking it thanks to windows 8 traumatizing me about that) and I mostly use shortcuts on my desktop instead to access my folders. But when installing programs I usually automatically leave 'create start menu folder' option checked so I reckon I might already be exceeding that 512 mark because I installed a LOT of programs.

Lun, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Sefie

Novelangel

So, what happens if the start menu exceeds 512 items? Does the computer freeze up? Does the start menu go nuts? I want to know exactly what is supposed to happen so if it happens to me, I'll be prepared rather than confused by what's going on. Is this true for desktop PC's too, or just laptops? This is the first time I've heard of this, and of course, Microsoft had to push the upgrade to 10 so hard, even giving it away free. Who can resist free forever? I resisted as long as I could but perhaps I should revert back to the Win 7 start menu. Someone provided a link to the way to do that... I just have to find it again.

Novelangel, Jun 3, 2016
  5. Sefie

Sefie

Read the article and you will know, Novelangel ;)

@Lun I think these are already old news, it's very likely Windows has already fixed this issue already :) Specially after drawing so much attention ;)

@IcBC I'm just glad I didn't fall for the ''free'' OS ;)

Sefie, Jun 3, 2016
  6. Sefie

filmjunkie08

Thanks for the heads up. I just recently downloaded Windows 10 to my laptop. Good to know.

filmjunkie08, Jun 19, 2016
  7. Sefie

rz3300

You would hope that this is something that they would fix before releasing it but I guess that is what just comes with the territory. That does seem like a lot of items, but really when you think about how many program and subprograms your computer is running all at once it might not add up to that much. I hope that everything gets straightened out just for the consumers' sake.

rz3300, Jun 26, 2016
Ask a Question