Major booting problem!!!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by SushiMaxC, Dec 21, 2008.

1. SushiMaxC

SushiMaxC

Guys I need help,

my laptop starts but keeps hanging at that blue acer screen. I just turned it off after using DosBox, but now I can't get to the login screen!

If I must restore the system, I don't mind (although getting to the screen is preferable). I just need to get my computer working again!

SushiMaxC

SushiMaxC, Dec 21, 2008
  2. SushiMaxC

SushiMaxC

Sorry I must mention that I'm on linux.

SushiMaxC, Dec 21, 2008
  3. SushiMaxC

SushiMaxC

Right, I'm not quite sure how, but this laptop seems to have repaired itself. I waited through the blue screen and the system kept restarting again, but one time it started working.

Just for me to understand, I changed the bootup priorities using F12 to the other option of ethernet/PCI before this. Is this the reason it finally started up???

SushiMaxC, Dec 21, 2008
  4. SushiMaxC

checksix

Your machine might not have been hanging but rather fixing its disk upon startup after a previous abnormal shutdown or crash. It does this while showing the initial "splash screen" but with no other indication that anything is happening (except for the disk light blinking away). Not very "user friendly".

checksix, Dec 22, 2008
  5. SushiMaxC

SushiMaxC

hmm...that sounds quite true. I wonder if there could be any way to monitor this, maybe a different distro shows this instead.

SushiMaxC, Dec 25, 2008
  6. SushiMaxC

SushiMaxC

Ok, now another boot up problem (how can the same crap happen to the same guy twice...). So the computer boots up just to the point past the acer blue screen. After this, before the user login screen, a movable cursor that now looks like an 'x' shows up. The screen behind now stays black, not showing the login screen. And there it stays, has anyone got any ideas?

SushiMaxC, Dec 27, 2008
  7. SushiMaxC

mds512

That sounds like the X Window System is not initializing properly. The X Window system is what pretty much every linux graphical interface operates on top of. I don't have linux (yet, I'm working on a dual boot) on my AAO, but I've seen this happen on other installs of linux I've done for myself. I'm not sure if you can get to a terminal in Linpus instead of going straight to a graphical login, but I bet there is something amiss in you xorg.conf file (most likely corrupted during your previous problem). If you can't get a terminal to fix it manually, you probably will have to either reinstall or try to get at it using one of the many linux live distributions such as the System Rescue CD. I have very little experience in fixing this problem, but I do know that its definitely the X system.Good luck.

mds512, Dec 27, 2008
Ask a Question