Mainboard size

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Solinx, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Solinx

Solinx

Could someone tell me what the dimensions of the mainboard are?
    Or could someone point me to a decently high resolution image of an opened up Aspire One?

The Service Guide PDF states the dimensions for the entire netbook are 248 (W) x 169.4 (D) x 29.5 (H) mm.
    This means the mainboard may be small enough to fit in a housing with the internal dimensions of 235 (W) x 150 (D) x 44 (H) mm.
    (Trying to turn an old external dvd casing into a custom nettop here ;))

From the disassemble instructions in the Service Guide it looks like width won't be an issue. What worries me is the depth of the board at the left edge.
    At all other places, the battery deducts from the 169,4 mm outer dimension, but there it looks like the board spans the entire lenght minus the thin exterior casing.
    The images aren't clear enough for me to be certain what is at the end, but it looks to be the lcd connector. :(

Any help will be much appreciated :)

Edit: Forgot to mention the netbook I'm looking at is the A110.

Edit2: I guess posting here turned my luck. It's not high res, but this image does the job.

Cheers,
    Solinx

Solinx, Jan 30, 2009
  2. Solinx

GvidoR

I must say it is a very nice idea!
    I hope it goes on well and I look forward to see the results.
    By the way, you can always get a bigger external DVD drive or at least, just the case to fit the motherboard in, if your existing case is too small.

GvidoR, Jan 31, 2009
  3. Solinx

Solinx

I'm not sure I'm going to continue with this though, at least not for now.

My goal is to make a small and cheap fanless HTPC which can double up as a local fileserver.
    The external dvd casing is perfect for its matching appearance with my monitor and I don't think other casings would be any wider than their 5.25 bay anyway.

The Aspire One's board would fit nicely from what I can tell, and got the connectors at the perfect places. After looking around a lot, I'd say it's the best fitting board that can be bought now, unless money isn't an object.

Unfortunately, I heard the fan can be relatively loud and whereas I first hoped the A110 could be expanded with a 2.5 HDD, it looks like it can only replace the SDD card, even if the Sata connector is used. And I totally forgot about sound. In the current setup a simple line-out would be fine, but with the box in place, the current setup would mostly be obsolete. ;)

And of course it would be great to have a HTPC that can display HD content (at least 720p at high rates and it would be nice to have 1080p). The main issue here is that there is no Atom board that has a HDMI connector. This connector is probably the only thing that can't be worked around.

Only the other day I learned the Poulsbo chipset may actually have such a connector, even if it's just as an option. It also brings plenty of other niceties, such as a faster LAN connection, better HD content processing out of the box and a fanless design. All this will make it quite a bit more expensive, but will also require (much) less investments in workarounds.

For the time being the current setup works fine, so I'm going to wait and see whether the Poulsbo chipset will be viable option.

Solinx, Jan 31, 2009
Ask a Question