Mac OSX 10.6.7 on Aspire One AOA150

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by MasterJediAdam, Dec 18, 2011.

1. MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

SETUP for OSX 10.6.7 Snow Leopard on Acer Aspire One AOA150
    - last updated 17 Dec 2011

Disclaimer - It is important that you read this file in its entirety prior to taking any action if optimum results are to be attained. Failure to do so could result in countless hours spent in frustration or hardware damage![/i]

1) Purchase a Snow Leopard disk (I had to get a 10.6.0 disk for this method to work for me else it caused a kernel panic) **note - if you are looking for a torrent, search for snow leopard gold master**
    2) Download the iBoot Legacy iso from tonymacx86 and then burn the bootable image onto a disk
    3) Download the 10.6.7 combo update from apple's website
    4) Download the fixin it folder. (http://www.mediafire.com/?cqp5j71wr9574mt) **Burn all of the downloaded files onto media, or pop them onto a thumb drive**

OSX 10.6.0 INSTALL

5) Place iBoot disk in drive and (re)start the computer
    6) When the boot screen appears, swap out for the install disk and press F5
    7) When the install disk appears, type "cpus=1" (without the quotation marks) and return
    8) When install is complete, allow the computer to restart - it will not boot unless you have a previous bootable drive that is not formatted. If you formatted - which I would suggest - you will need to accomplish step 7
    9) Swap out for the iBoot disk and start the computer. Look for your install and again type in "cpus=1" (without the quotation marks) and return
    10) Setup will begin. I needed to configure my keyboard, but it was a simple as following the directions on the screen.

WHAT WORKS OUT OF THE BOX - keyboard (you will be prompted to setup the keyboard during setup), mouse, camera, audio and WIFI (though I swapped out for an actual Mac WIFI card prior to install)

11) As soon as the profile opens, open System Preferences
    - Alter the Energy Saver preferences to NEVER on Computer Sleep and un-check the "Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" options
    - Alter the Software Update option un-checking "Download updates automatically". You can reselect this later if you would like, though it is my personal preference to be able to choose. This step is very important, so please don't forget it

UPDATE TO 10.6.7

12) Decompress the combined update for 10.6.7 and begin the installation. Complete steps 12 - 14 before rebooting
    - While it is installing, copy the mach_kernel_atom7 kernel file into the root folder (this is accessed simply by clicking on the name of your hard disk in a Finder window)
    - Open terminal and type in the following (you will have to use your admin password):
    Code:
    cd /
    	cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
    	sudo nano com.apple.Boot.plist

- under the <key>Kernel</key> add
    Code:
    <string>mach_kernel_atom7</string>
    - under the <key>Kernel Flags</key> add
    Code:
    <string>cpus=1</string>
    - save the file by using cntl-x and then saving changes by typing "y" and pressing enter
    - it is now safe to reboot your computer after the combo update is installed

FIX THE WI-FI, SD CARD READER, BATTERY MONITOR

13) Locate the Kext Helper b7 application and drag it to your Utilities folder. After the combo update is complete and prior to rebooting, open Kext Helper b7 and drag the IO80211Family.kext, IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext and AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext, into the window

WHAT WORKS - keyboard, mouse, camera, audio, WI-FI, battery manager and LEFT SD slot

FIX THE GRAPHICS

14) Locate AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and Natit.kext and drag them into the Kext Helper b7. Type your password in the box and click easy install. Reboot
    15) After the reboot is complete, reopen Kext Helper b7. Drag AppleIntelGMA950.kext into the window. Type your password in the box and click easy install. Reboot. When the system comes back you should have 1024 x 600 resolution as well as all the visual effects

WHAT WORKS - keyboard, mouse, camera, audio, WI-FI, battery manager, LEFT SD slot and high-resolution graphics

UPDATE AND INSTALL ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE

16) At this point, go ahead and update the software. After software updates are done there may need to be a reboot. After the reboot, open Disk Utility and "Repair Permissions" for the target drive
    17) Install any 3rd party software and after reboot open Disk Utility and "Repair Permissions" for the target drive

MIGRATING AND TIME MACHINE BACKUPS

At this point, you are ready to import your stuff from a previous TIME MACHINE backup or set up your TIME MACHINE.
    18) Connect your TIME MACHINE. Locate Migration Assistant and choose the "From a Time Machine backup or other disk" option (you will need to type in your administrator password)
    19) Choose what you would like to migrate - it is important that you not migrate the setup files or additional files. I would also suggest that you consider fresh installs of your programs. Continue your way through the migration. **note - you may need to create a generic account to migrate your files if the account name you are migrating matches the account/user name originally set up**
    20) After the migration is complete, setup your TIME MACHINE by opening the System Preferences, choosing TIME MACHINE, and following the prompts

MAKING OSX 10.6.7 BOOTABLE

Up to this point you have been using iBoot to help load your system. These steps will help you remedy this and complete the setup of Snow Leopard on your Acer Aspire One AOA150.
    21) Find the MultiBeast - Snow Leopard Edition folder. Run the install program, only selecting the EasyBeast option. Open the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file located in the /Extra folder by:
    - Open terminal and type in the following (you will have to use your admin password):
    Code:
    cd /
    	cd /Extra
    	nano org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    - under the <key>Kernel</key> change
    <string>mach_kernel</string> with
    Code:
    <string>mach_kernel_atom7</string>
    - under the <key>Kernel Flags</key> add
    Code:
    <string>cpus=1</string>
    - save the file by using cntl-x and then saving changes by typing "y" and pressing enter
    - it is now safe to reboot your computer
    22) After reboot, the computer will not play sound, and the keyboard and mouse will not function. Re-run the Multibeast installer and locate the VoodooHDA 0.2.x under Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Audio -> Universal -> , and the PS/2 controllers under Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Miscellaneous -> . Install and reboot.

WHAT WORKS - keyboard, mouse, camera, audio, WI-FI, battery manager, LEFT SD slot and high-resolution graphics and will run without iBoot.

23) Congratulations, you should now have a Acer Hackintosh! It should work well enough for you to use for any and everything. Enjoy.

MasterJediAdam, Dec 18, 2011
  2. MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

It would seem that I did not include the kernel files in the original post. Look for a link later on today with another mediafire upload with the kernel file needed.

MasterJediAdam, Dec 23, 2011
  3. MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam, Dec 30, 2011
  4. MasterJediAdam

orzorzw

Where can I download the kext files needed?

orzorzw, Jul 7, 2013
  5. MasterJediAdam

gadgetised

Good to see people are still making there own Hackintosh computers. I would love to see a decent desktop set up that is comparable to the iMac, without the crazy price tag.

gadgetised, Apr 1, 2014
Ask a Question