M-Audio Transit USB sound card (Linpus Linux)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Phil_Urich, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Phil_Urich

ryanc021

Made an attempt at setting up a /etc/asound.conf(system wide) file, reference used http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-hda-intel

Code:
               pcm.hda-intel {
                             type hw
                             card 0
              }

ctl.hda-intel {
                         type hw
                         card 0
              }

pcm.usb-audio {
                           type hw
                           card 1
              }

ctl.usb-audio {
                         type hw
                         card 1
              }

Gave the file the following permissions by doing..
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+rw /etc/asound.conf
    Started up Amarok from Terminal, typed in 'usb-audio' for stereo and got sound :D . As I also have XMMS installed fired that up from Terminal again the audio device is selectable. Hope it helps.

ryanc021, Nov 28, 2008
  2. Phil_Urich

Phil_Urich

Actually, I had just failed in my copy-paste attempt, heh, and missed the p and not noticed it. Yeah, I wasn't going to use this config all the time, just for when I wanted to use the AA1 for recording, and at this point I wanted/want to simply get it working at all first before fine-tuning things like being able to use the same config file all the time.

I assumed things were working for me since it shows up, sounds play back, etc etc. I hadn't had the time to actually play around with it until today, though, and I've now noticed that line-in (which it thinks is "mic") doesn't work. At all. No sound whatsoever. As said, line-out works, but apparently I cannot get anything on line-in. I checked alsamixer and "mic" isn't muted; in fact it has no option for mute, and I've set the volume to 100. The other option ("PCM") predictably only affects the line-out volume.

I have alsa-tools and alsa-utils installed, but apparently neither of them provide alsaconfig, and I cannot seem to find which package would, so I haven't been able to try running that.

I installed and tried running alsamixergui, and apparently it sees "Mic" as being at 0% and refuses to let me move it up.

Maaaan, if the BIOS would just let me

{edit} heh, I meant to write "if the BIOS would just let me boot from an SD card I'd just dual boot with UbuntuStudio", apparently I forgot to get around to the rest of the sentence. But in the tradition of me figuring out things and/or stumbling upon them while writing posts, immediately afterwards I fiddled around with alsamixergui (run from "sudo alsamixergui", to be precise) and then when I went "sudo alsamixer" to check it against the console version of the mixer, lo and behold the display had changed. Now under the bar for volume for "Mic" it shows....well, here's a before-and-after copy-paste, with the boxes cut out since I caused an SQL error the first time I tried to submit, haha.

The Before:
    Code:

100<>100 
    <  Mic   >  
    The After:
    Code:
      L    R  
     CAPTUR  
     100<>100 
     <  Mic   >  
    And yeah, now it works. Mysterious. Hopefully it simply works from now on, since I'm not sure I'd be able to duplicated whateverthehell it was I did...

Phil_Urich, Nov 28, 2008
  3. Phil_Urich

kag

I have a HotUSB1 DAC/headphone amp, which basically acts like an external sound card I believe. The instructions found in this thread are surely helpful but specific to the M-Audio card. I have no idea how to get my HotUSB1 working in Linpus, and not sure where to start. Would someone give me a hint or two? Or should I start a new thread?

kag, Nov 28, 2008
  4. Phil_Urich

madeyemoody

kag,

I have used Blackhawks instructions and they worked for my Trust USB speakers. If your USB headphone device confirms to some standard generic USB audio device type it might work too. However, it doesnt work perfectly. On my system I have the following behavior:

1) Hot pluggin the USB device: I can start audio players (amarok etc) only with 'sudo' and by changing the alsa device to hw:1,0 . The built in soundcard is working like before (for example using skype in user mode). I deceided to use the USB speakers this way.

2) USB device plugged in at boot time: USB device becomes the default device. AUdio apps use the USB device. Skype doesnt work anymore because the built in soundcard is not working (no mic), , at least in user mode. I cannot change manually to the built in card. If I unplug the USB device, the audio system screws up and nothing works anymore (need to reboot).

by the way, the sound of the built in soundcard seems to have improved significantly by the update to the newer alsa driver...

madeyemoody, Nov 29, 2008
  5. Phil_Urich

ryanc021

Kag, I was in the same boat as you about 2 weeks ago when I picked up my AA1, I've got a Headstage Lyrix USB Dac/Amp that I wanted to use. I was really surprised that Linpus didn't support USB audio out-the-box. However I just followed blackhawk's instructions: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4800&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10#p37023.

A reboot later it was done, I think as long as your usb audio device is recognised by the system, then you're good to go.
    Easy to check by typing in terminal:
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/cards
    This will list all your sound devices, Once plugged your USB/Amp should be present.

The only problem other then my gripe with the madwifi drivers was not having the madfuload firmware loaders to complete the last part of the instructions but I downloaded them from : http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=87777&package_id=94170. You gonna have to go through the extraction>make>install process to install them. If you're not familiar with the process, I can post the steps you need to take?

Like with the previous poster's comments there are quirks like having to start up your media player using the 'sudo' command in terminal (a shortcut can be made and placed in the desktop's right-click menu to automate this.) and having to change the alsa device to hw:1,0 each time. If you're happy to do that till a solution is posted then give it a try.

Finally if you can make a backup of your system, then do so just in case you experience any problems.

ryanc021, Nov 29, 2008
  6. Phil_Urich

kag

Woah ryanc021, thank you so much!

If installing "madfuload firmware loaders" is simply extracting the file, ./configure, make, make install, I can do that. If it's more complicated, I'm afraid that even after 1.5 years of using Ubuntu as my only OS, I'm still not good enough.

It doesn't bother me to do a special procedure when I want to listen to my music thought my DAC/amp.

I'll wait a few days in case someone finds something about the WiFi drivers.

kag, Nov 29, 2008
  7. Phil_Urich

ryanc021

No problem Kag,

Yeah its just the simple extraction process for the madfuload files.

On the Madwifi drivers I can't believe I hadn't tried the 'connection manager' to disconnect the wifi connection :oops: , I was too focused on getting the WIFI switch to work properly. But you can fully stop the wifi connection when needed from 'connection manager' and avoid the annoying disconnected messege every couple of minutes :) .

ryanc021, Nov 29, 2008
  8. Phil_Urich

kag

I installed the new kernel and my DAC/amp seems to be detected and all, but I can't find a music player that will let me output sound to this device instead of the "default" one.

I also agree that the WiFi still needs work. My light keeps on flashing, and it doesn't seem to resume well from sleep.

kag, Nov 30, 2008
  9. Phil_Urich

ryanc021

You're gonna need to install Amarok which is a pretty solid media player and a good place to start. I don't know whether you've got access to 'package manager', if so just search for 'Amarok' and choose amarok-1.4.10-1.fc8.i386 and amarok-extras-freeworld-1.4.10-1.fc8.noarch (needed for mp3 playback).

Once that's installed run from Terminal 'sudo Amarok' go to settings>configure amarok>click Engine>Select alsa as output plugin & type 'hw:1,0' for stereo>Alt-A to apply setting>Alt-C to close dialog box. DONE!

Now enjoy your music :cool:

- Optional quick shortcut in the desktop's right-click menu:
    and apparently the wifi flashing when on is supposed to indicate web/connection traffic.

ryanc021, Nov 30, 2008
  10. Phil_Urich

Marathon

I had problems getting my USB headset (basically a usb sound card) to work on the AA1 but managed it eventually. I wrote some notes about what I did to get it working which may be of use to some of you. See the following:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2463&start=10

Marathon

Marathon, Nov 30, 2008
  11. Phil_Urich

andychurchill

Hi,

I've been directed to this thread from my original thread askign about the trust USB external soundcard I had, and whether it could work with this AA1.

following the instructions on here, I now get the following when doing cat /proc/asound/cards:

0 [Intel }: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
    HDA Intel at 0x38540000 irq 16
    1 [Audio ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio
    USB Audio at usb=0000;00;1d.0-2, full speed

I'm trying to see if I can get get the standard mplayer using this new device, but no luck yet. Under the Audio preferences, it shows available drivers, alsa ALSA-0.9x-1.x audio output. I have tried configuring the driver to use one of the available options, but nothing appears to work - i thought one of the hw=0.1 or hw=-0.2 might do it, but nothing works. All it says is Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

Any ideas? I've probably missed a step but I'm a linux n00b. :)

andychurchill, Jan 17, 2009
  12. Phil_Urich

ryanc021

hi andychurchill,
    If you're using hw=0.1 or hw=-0.2 its not gonna work, you should be using hw:1,0 or alsa:device=hw=1.0 to access your USB soundcard.

I dont use mplayer but prefer smplayer, if you've set everything right your usb soundcard would be listed in the General>Audio>Output driver list in smplayer. It looks like a simple mix up of digits, try the above and see if that helps.

ryanc021, Jan 20, 2009
  13. Phil_Urich

lchile

This thread is very informative for a linux noob - thank you - I got my Edirol UA-1EX to work with VLC. Unfortunately a few issues, wonder if somebody could help:

It seems to disconnect on sleep/wake-up - is there a way to fix this. I have been re-running sudo modprobe usb-audio when this happens and it seems to connect only on re-boot, should I be re-running modprobe?

Confused also that UA-1EX is no longer appearing in any of the drop-downs in Output Drivers in VLC - sure OSS/ALSA listed it literally at UA-1EX, now I have to use HW 0;0 or hwplug:0 - strange.

I achieved this without running sudo ./madfuload -l -3 -f ma006100.bin, so maybe I need those drivers?

lchile, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question