Lubuntu -fast and responsive Ubuntu flavor with LXDE desktop

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Xinês, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Xinês

Xinês

I'm a happy 9.10 Gnome user but as usual I like to test new versions or distros.
    One of the aspects I like on Gnome is it's standard, intuitive and consistent behavior. Nevertheless, regular Gnome based Ubuntu is a bit bloated for this very useful but little machine. Even XFCE is long time far from it's earned image of light desktop (now is as slow as Gnome but yet without it's maturity).
    There are several alternatives, making this less powerful machine really fast and responsive, but usually they drop too much functionalities for a GUI user like me. Don't judge me wrong, I use the command line everyday, but most of the time I use the GUI user interface. Kuki was one of the most equilibrated and interesting proposal's, but unfortunately the project halted before delivering a final stage distro (yes, I know there are a lot of people using it nevertheless, and with good reasons for it).
    Now, I'm stumbled testing a new version of Ubuntu called Lubuntu. It's not yet official Ubuntu flavor, but it's close enough for Canonical to let it's developing team already use their servers, merchandise and community space -probably by 10.04 release time Lubuntu will already be another official Ubuntu flavor. Lubuntu uses the LXDE desktop, which is very light and, although not as developed as present state Gnome, is evolving fast and already very user friendly. Notice; it's not a good desktop for somebody completely new to Linux. But is an easy evolution for the regular Linux user.
    What makes this flavor of Ubuntu so interesting?! Well, I'm using it right now and, even in Beta stage and installed in a 4Gb flash pen, it already convinces me enough for my regular usage!! Although quite simple, it's eye candy enough (I care about the look an OS provides) and it's built on top of Ubuntu base system, which is a must for me as I'm used to it and Canonical really makes a good job with software sources and support. But the key quality that make me love this flavor is that my little machine gets really fast and responsive with this. No lags, no long wait's...
    Don't know about you and your needs, but I'm totally convinced. Lubuntu will have me as their client as soon they release final version (well, they already do, but this is still the Beta)!

Xinês, Mar 27, 2010
  2. Xinês

RockDoctor

RockDoctor, Mar 28, 2010
  3. Xinês

Nudnik_de

Just installed Lubuntu on top of my running Kubuntu, just by installing lubuntu-desktop. I can now chRoose the session at login. It really runs great!

Nudnik_de, Mar 28, 2010
Ask a Question