Low Volume with films and music

Discussion in 'Linux' started by picasso, Aug 8, 2008.

1. picasso

picasso

Hi there,

my Ubuntu is running quite fine. But yesterday i tried to watch a mp4 film ad noticed the very low volume. It is the same with mp3, even with two different mp3 programs. The system sounds show a normal volume.
    I have followed all the hints here (recompiling alsa). Can someone help?

picasso, Aug 8, 2008
  2. picasso

fuzz

It doesn't help that the A1's speakers are, well, pretty crap. Using headphones helps a lot. Another thing you could try is using VLC to play your movies, it always seems to have a louder max volume than anything else :)

fuzz, Aug 8, 2008
  3. picasso

bit-ninja

I was thinking about this so I checked my Linpus partition, and what do you know, I could play the same movie much louder. The sound was still terrible but it was definitely louder.

Can anyone else confirm this?

bit-ninja, Aug 9, 2008
  4. picasso

hygren

VLC's volume control can raise the volume even more since it also raises the volume in the audio stream (sort of like using an equaliser and raising all bars above normal). The down-side is that distorsion easily sets in since the volume of the data stream has a limited max volume. Very usable if you're listening to something that is recorded at a very low volume.

hygren, Aug 9, 2008
  5. picasso

stevo

Try SMPlayer (smplayer.sf.net) In the settings, set audio to software volume control, and crank it up to 11 (actually way more than 11, I have mine at 900% (!)) and I don't get the distortion that you do with VLC--plus I think SMPlayer's UI kicks VLC's behind.

stevo, Aug 26, 2008
  6. picasso

Syco54645

I can confirm that linpus was louder, much louder...

Syco54645, Aug 29, 2008
  7. picasso

hardran3

hardran3, Aug 29, 2008
  8. picasso

3earnhardt3

I might have had that issue, because after I switched to vlc I nearly blew my eardrums cause the volume was way to high.

3earnhardt3, Aug 29, 2008
  9. picasso

mrzerga

BUG FOUND - BUG SOLVED
    if anybody happens to play with this feature, and then after changing the numbers couple of times, your smplayer+mplayer craps out all of a sudden, giving you an error related to "volume" - just go to /home/user/.smplayer and delete *.ini files( 2 files in my case) - you player should be working fine after that...I have to mention that you might need to redo all the changes to the settings that you've done in smplayer(if any)...

mrzerga, Oct 24, 2008
Ask a Question