Love my new AAO, Newb Questions

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by derspiess, Mar 25, 2009.

1. derspiess

derspiess

Hello all,
    Great forum-- lots & lots of info to sift through. I've owned my AAO for about a month-- can't remember the model # for the life of me but it has 1GB of RAM, 8GB SSD, and XP. I had been looking at netbooks ever since the first Eee came out, so far I'm very pleased with the AAO.

I did expect the SSD to be a bit slow, and it improved once I removed the trialware & other stuff I didn't want. But it's still a lot slower than I'd like it to be. At this point, I'm weighing my options of switching to Ubuntu, trying out Windows 7 or keeping XP, and I'm also considering swapping a spare 1.8" ZIF 30gb hard drive in place of the SSD.

I've tinkered with gadgets before, but I'm still a little nervous about opening the case & voiding my warranty. So before I decide to do something irreversible like that, I have a few questions. And I spent a lot of time searching the forum, so please don't skewer me for asking questions that have already been asking!

First, how much faster is the SSD with Ubuntu Netbook Remix than with XP?

Secondly, does the SSD perform better with Windows 7 than with XP?

Thirdly, how much faster is a typical 1.8" 30gb drive (the type found in 5th gen iPods & 1st gen Zunes) than the SSD?

Finally, has anyone used Clonezilla successfully to back up the main hard drive?

TIA!

derspiess, Mar 25, 2009
Ask a Question