Looking for Restore disc for Xp Aspire one please?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by toibs, Feb 1, 2010.

1. toibs

toibs

Hi all,
    Being careful how i put this, since i dont want the Wrath of the admins etc, as it's a legitimate request!

I'm looking for a copy of the xp aspire restore disk for My Aspire One 150. I cant find mine - I'm presuming it came with one (have i misplaced it?!), or was it all on the original HD (Mine failed!) - i cant remember now!

I DO NOT WANT ANYONES KEY - I have my own, and i'm not a pirate!!

Just wondering if anyone out there might have an image of either the disc or of theirs as a backup, or know where i could get one from please! I want to rebuild my ex-virused aspire!!

Many thanks
    Paul

toibs, Feb 1, 2010
  2. toibs

lordnordeth

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2445

Check this thread, you'll need your key that came with your Aspire One.

Dunno if the links are still active or not, good luck.

lordnordeth, Feb 9, 2010
  3. toibs

NorCalAspire

You don't need the restore disk unless you want to reinstall the bloatware. All you need to do is use a WinXP 32 bit install disk and install to your new disk then use the old key. You shouldn't need to call MS to activate since the motherboard and other gear has not changed, only the HD. If you do have to call MS just explain you are replacing the HD.

On my units, oddly enough wifi works before I download drivers...but the ethernet plug doesn't. Go figure. If for some reason neither works, you would need to load the drivers on a USB key using another computer and install them from the USB key.

This is a MUCH cleaner option than using the restore disk plus I believe the restore disk will repartition your new hard disk with a restore partition, wasting more space.

Good luck. Have fun.

NorCalAspire, Feb 23, 2010
  4. toibs

Swarvey Moderator

You will have to use a compatible XP disk. You will more than likely need an OEM disk. Try to borrow one, downloading them can be too risky, you don't want to restore your system with a virus infected, downloaded ISO.

The reason you will need the approrpriate Windows disk is that chances are your AAO came with an OEM license, which means an OEM key, which means you will need an OEM disk. Check the Certificate Of Authenticity label on the underside of your AAO, it should mention OEM or not. OEM keys, at least in my experience, cannot be used with non OEM disks.

If you are able to get a hold of a Windows XP disk, with SP3 built in,you can merely choose not to enter a code whilst doing the repair, this means it won't matter if it's an OEM disk or otherwise. However Windows will eventually ask you for the appropriate key, thanks to SP3 tho, you will be at least able to install the OS.

You mentioned that you are using a new disk, which means it's a blank slate atm. You WILL need to reactivate your windows license once it is reinstalled.

I believe it is also possible to contact Acer and order actual Restore Disks for your particular machine, pretty sure out of the box they come with the restore software on a hidden partition on the original drive.

Swarvey, Feb 24, 2010
Ask a Question