Looking for Linpus Applications Please See below

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Rolf Albrecht, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Rolf Albrecht

Rolf Albrecht

Dear All,
    For my ASPIRE ONE (LINPUS) I am looking for some pieces of software, which would allow me to “throw away” my Windows PC. Preferably, the software sought after, should be open source, but if it is worth the money it could also be something “professional”.
    First I am looking for something managing all the pins, tans, access codes, and banking cards, credit cards, … Currently under Windows I am using for that the free version of Password Safe (http://www.passwordsafe.de/portal/de/) , which works at least for me as a mere user sufficiently well. So if anyone out there in the world of knowledge knows something suitable I would be glad to read.
    Second I am looking for software tool, which allows me to password protect a single folder and or a single file under ASPIRE ONE LINPUS, so that it is only accessible to password owners. It should be nothing, which encrypts the complete disk. It should never the less provide a strong encryption mechanism.
    Third I need something, which allows me to manage all my (still incoming in bulks) paper based mail and correspondence. Currently I am using for that the software ELO office (http://www.eloweb.eu/). It works with logical file cabinets, ring binders and registers, which all could be freely defined according to my needs. Furthermore it also provides convenient interfaces to a wealth of scanners and to different e-mail systems like outlook and … All this allows to put together electronically what belongs together, and to manage everything in a consistent manner. Things, which should be filed parallel under different categories, could be handled also, by just filing a virtual copy in the other places. The system has a good tagging mechanism, which allows fast retrieval even when searching in big “bundles” of electronic files.
    Forth I don’t know if the Free Mind program is available for the LINPUS system. I saw lots of version made for different UNIXES, but which one is the right one for ASPIRE ONE. And how do I get it installed?
    As you already may have detected, I am someone, who is called a “user”, which, in fact I am, and additional a quite old one. I don’t understand much from UNIX and all the other stuff behind my screen. So I would be very happy if you can provide me besides the software recommendations (which version, there are so many UNIXES out there) also with step by step instructions how to implement it under the LINPUS system of the EEPC. Besides, so far I really love that machine also because of the help I got so far for solving my problems from the forums that are around outside.
    So thanks in advance for your kind understanding and of course for your help.

Regards Rolf Albrecht

Rolf Albrecht, Nov 11, 2008
  2. Rolf Albrecht

daldred

Truecrypt can create an encrypted 'volume' which would do what you seem to want, I think. Unfortunately the best version requires compilation on the One, as there is no packaged version as yet - but it isn't all that difficult. There are detailed instructions here->http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/installing-truecrypt-on-acer-aspire-one.html.

daldred, Nov 11, 2008
  3. Rolf Albrecht

Rolf Albrecht

Oh, oh sounds pretty complicated for a novice, especially reading all comments. Maybe better I wait for a package. Or there is something else, which I can use instead of True Crypt meanwhile. But anyway many thanks for your help. Regards Rolf Albrecht

Rolf Albrecht, Nov 11, 2008
  4. Rolf Albrecht

Duncan_Rowland

Macles blog looks pretty straight forward, why not give it a go? :)
    Otherwise, would a simple zip -e do? (not sure of the strength of encryption)
    e.g.
    zip -r encrypted_folder.zip -e folder_to_encrypt

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 11, 2008
  5. Rolf Albrecht

daldred

It's actually not as hard as it sounds. You can cut'n'paste the commands from the webpage into the console to save typing problems, if you like!

I know I'm used to Linux, but this process is very fully described by MAcles, and worked very easily for me!

daldred, Nov 11, 2008
  6. Rolf Albrecht

Rolf Albrecht

Well next week I am going home to Germany from Dubai to have some days free. I will give it a try. Maybe better not to do in hectic. The only thing, which still makes me somehow nervous are the reports about mismatching kernel and all that stuff I read yesterday followinng the links of your recommendations:
    Well i will see...
    Regards
    Rolf

Rolf Albrecht, Nov 12, 2008
  7. Rolf Albrecht

daldred

So far I've just ignored the kernel device warnings, and I've had no problems. I believe it may be a problem if you try to use a separate device for your encrypted volume (like a USB drive).

daldred, Nov 12, 2008
  8. Rolf Albrecht

jinx022

I've been using KeePass on Win XP and installed keepassx on my AA1. The good news is that the encrypted data file from KeePass can be read by keepassx so I didn't need to reload all my passwords, pins etc. The bad news is that the password generator accessory window is scrunched a bit and the icon is ugly.

jinx022, Nov 15, 2008
Ask a Question