Looking for fast powerful laptop but not for gaming

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Jack Probe, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Jack Probe

Jack Probe

I am looking to replace my current laptop that decided to die. I usually build desktops and use them more but also like a good laptop. So I am looking to buy a fast and powerful unit that I can get a few years out of. I don't game but do run multimedia and some CPU intensive apps. I was looking at the ASUS FX53VE-MS74 with the following features:
    Intel Core I7-7700HQ 2.80GHz Quad-Core Max Turbo 3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4
    1TB + 256GB SSD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5
    15.6" FULL HD 1920x1080 Display
    Stereo Speaker
    LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
    WLAN 2x2 802.11ac
    Bluetooth 4.0
    Media Card Reader
    Backlit Keyboard
    SuperMulti DVDRW
    WINDOWS 10
    This is designed as a gaming machine and I don't game. I like the CPU, Graphics card and storage with a SSD card. What else should I look as to give me the same results and longevity? I welcome all suggestions

Jack Probe, Sep 11, 2017
  2. Jack Probe

Travis Kidraiki

Hello Jack,

Im guessing money is not an issue? Are You going to be on battery for a long time or are You near a power outlet?
    With Asus FX53VE, the downside is that it's only capable of hosting up to 16GB of DDR4 RAM. That means You have no upgrade space.

This one as an alternative
    Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" on the other hand is upgradable to 32 GB of DDR4 RAM. IT also has an PCIe connection for the SDD compared to ASUS SATA3. That means that data transfer for Lenovo is going to be twice as fast, roughly compared to ASUS. Not that it's going to matter when editing videos for example but it does make other jobs more quick that require that bandwidth. The downside is battery life. With a 3 cell battery it doesn't last more than few hours compared to Asus 4 cell battery. It's based on pretty much the same tech inside the two laptops.

Lenovo should be slightly cheaper as well. But has a different design.

Hope it helps. If You have any further questions let me know.

Travis

Travis Kidraiki, Sep 18, 2017
Ask a Question