Looking for a new laptop.

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by fidgeter, Mar 23, 2016.

1. fidgeter

fidgeter

Hey guys, i've been looking for a new laptop for a while now and can't really narrow in on any.
    Essentially, i'm just looking for a smooth running laptop which doesn't give heating, connectivity, etc issues which i will be using on a daily basis.

I'm not technically very good with stuff but here's what i know i want:

8GB RAM.
    SSD (256GB i think?).
    Screen size of 13 inches (can go to 14 if i have to).
    My budget is about 50-55k INR (748-823 USD), can push it a bit more if it's really worth it.
    I would like it to be an investment for at least 6-7 years (been using a dell xps m1330 for 8 years now).

Here's what i'll be using it for primarily:
    Watch tv shows and movies, downloaded and streaming (a lot).
    Browsing the internet (a lot).
    Listening to music.
    Playing games sometimes (like Red alert, diablo, warcraft, mostly offline games).

I came across the Asus UX305LA but from a lot of reviews that i've read there seems to be problems with the wifi connectivity.

I was also looking at HP Pavilion x360 13t - but it's HDD
    and Lenovo Yoga 500 - 500GB SSHD. Hybrid drive. [which i don't know about, whether it's good, bad or ok].

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fidgeter, Mar 23, 2016
  2. fidgeter

Personablue

Welcome to this forum and thanks for noting down your primary uses, it helps a lot to recommend, also I am from India too :)
    First I will tell you what are the things to look for
    1. Processor- Make sure it's from Intel and is an i5 or i7. Also do note that not all i5 or i7 are same. Make sure its of the recent gen. An i5 4200u is older than an i5 6200u.
    2. Ram- Aim for at least 8Gb DDR3. Make sure it's a tleast 1600MHz. 1333Mhz is old now.
    3. Storage- A SSD is not really necessary. You can save a lot of money if you simply go for a 1TB HDD
    4.GPU- Nvidia 840m, 740m, 940m, all will do. Simply remember as a thumb of rule 760m= 850m=940m more or less. Another example is 770m=860m=950m in terms of power

Personablue, Mar 24, 2016
  3. fidgeter

spence88

You may also notice if you take a quick search on Amazon or other similar sites, that prices for the same model vary greatly. That's because these models have their own versions themselves. The least expensive ones or the base models have the slowest components, like an entry level CPU (Intel i3 vs. an Intel i7). For example, the HP Pavilion x360 13t you posted, you may be able to find a model with an SSD if you look hard enough. It's important to take note of the specs of the model you're buying. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    spence88, Mar 24, 2016
  4. fidgeter

CasualGoofy

I like your choices! If you don't play that much graphic intense mmorpg, either may be good enough. I use to play WoW on an office grade Dell laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-13-s128nr-13-3-Inch-Full-HD/dp/B014X4UAUI

This does come with SSD. According to one of the reviews, this can be upgraded. But I would ask before buying to make sure.

SSD have dropped in price, and likely to keep going. If you are not in immediate need if higher storage or ram, you can just go for it. Then choose to install new when the price is appealing.

CasualGoofy, Mar 24, 2016
  5. fidgeter

fidgeter

Thank so much. You guys rock!

@Personablue - you mentioned SSD isn't necessary? the reason i ask is cause i've read a lot about how SSD makes the laptop lightning fast. Will a 1 TB HDD work the same way? And what about the whole hybrid drives, those good enough?

@Aspence88 and CasualGoofy - unfortunately i don't think that laptop is available in India from what i've searched =(

fidgeter, Mar 25, 2016
  6. fidgeter

CasualGoofy

.. oops! I didn't look at the above post. We were looking at the same thing (haha)! I now understand why it's so hard to find an alternative :(:confused: now that you say India. I couldn't find customize option on hpshopping.in!

So I've really - STARED intently at http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-pavilion-x360---13t-touch-laptop-l8v89av-1 which looks very much like http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/hp-pavilion-x360-13t

If they're the same thing, it should be up-gradable. I hope you'd get the laptop you want!

With SSD, the laptop would startup faster. As you probably know, the SSD doesn't have moving parts. No parts, mean speedier action and less heat generated. It's like a big flash/memory stick. As for overall performance, it depends on what model. I installed a lesser rated Samsung EVO SSD. Despite the rating, I didn't have issues with it.

CasualGoofy, Mar 26, 2016
  7. fidgeter

vinaya

I checked this thread looking for answer. I am thinking to give up my 6 years Compaq 510 and upgrade to a better option. Some of the brands I am considering are Dell and Toshiba. Wat do you think about these brands? I use my laptop for writing and surfing internet. I do lots of downloads, I need a laptop with better battery backup and good storage at least 500 GB.

vinaya, Mar 27, 2016
  8. fidgeter

Corzhens

My husband is also on the verge of buying a laptop, it was just delayed a bit due to unforeseen expenses that occurred recently. Of course, he wanted a full load laptop that he can use for video editing. His only apprehension is how to use Windows 10 because he is still using Windows XP but I guess that's another issue. With the 13 inch screen, that would may be enough for his needs.

Corzhens, Mar 27, 2016
  9. fidgeter

fidgeter

Well, i've been using a dell xps m1330 for 8 years now. Got it around this time (my birthday =D). It's served me well, but now it's slowing down and heating up a lot (only 4gb RAM). So i think dell is a pretty solid brand, but i have heard that they do tend to have heating issues.
    I actually was hoping to settle in on another dell tbh, but the hp x360 seems pretty good.

fidgeter, Mar 27, 2016
  10. fidgeter

fidgeter

Unfortunately that site doesn't deliver to india.
    And as you saw, indian one doesn't allow customization (so i have to get it with 4GB RAM and 1TB HDD but luckily it's got i5) :(

So SSD helps it start up faster, is that all?
    Does that mean if i don't mind waiting the addition minute for the laptop to start 1 TB HDD is good enough? Cause honestly, 128GB space doesn't seem like a lot (won't it fill up pretty fast and lead to not working as efficiently?)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    fidgeter, Mar 27, 2016
  11. fidgeter

CasualGoofy

I didn't think there would be no customization! That's just not right :(:confused:

Overall it will run faster. Not sure about the lightning part. Maybe other people own a really good SSD.

If you look at the bar graphs that compare top ten SSD models/brands, you would feel a little overwhelmed by how they vary in performance. The most certain, sure fire thing about SSD - no matter what you get, the startup will-be-faster. There's like no doubt about it.

Like I said, I was able to try Final Fantasy 14 game after I installed SSD.

Not everyone needs a SSD. I myself like owning a laptop that can be upgraded. So if bothers you, ask the support if the device can be upgraded :D

CasualGoofy, Mar 29, 2016
  12. fidgeter

fidgeter

That's India for ya xD

That's exactly what i did :)

Ok so i narrowed in on like 3 laptops:
    1) asus ux305ua, 512gb ssd, 8gb ram, i7, built in intel hd graphics card (96k)
    2) asus ux303ub 1tb hdd, 8gb ram (cannot be upgraded), i5 6th gen, dedicated 2gb graphics card 940 (72k)
    3) dell inspiron 7548 256gb ssd, 16gb ram, i7, 4gb AMD R7 graphics card (which i was told isn't very good) (some 96k)

So i asked for option 2 if i could do what you've suggested, upgrade to SSD and he told me that it should be possible (though he's never done it).

I would have really liked a Dell, but there's no dell which has a dedicated graphics card and ssd combo sadly (i went to the site to customize the laptop, when i chose ssd the card option gets greyed out, and vice-versa).

Anyway, now i need to know if it is possible to switch out hdd for ssd on the ux303ub (i was not 100% confident with what the guy at the store told me). Any idea? or any idea where i can find out?

fidgeter, Mar 31, 2016
  13. fidgeter

CasualGoofy

XD XD

If this is the asus ux303ub you mean, then it does look upgrade-able. A 7mm size SSD will fit (no bracket).
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/zenbook-ux303ub
    Not purposely promoting crucial. Mine is samsung after all.

I was looking at a review of ux303ub (because no one has the disassemble video of it yet) and then looked at one of those zenbook how-to. Bottom plate seems alike.

Same routine for some laptops. Pop the bottom plate out.

CasualGoofy, Apr 1, 2016
Ask a Question