Looking for a Gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by JoeChaffey, Apr 10, 2016.

1. JoeChaffey

JoeChaffey

Hello, this is my first post on this forum and I would be really grateful for any advice anyone could give me. The laptop I currently own is more built for multimedia and doesn't suit my gaming needs so I will be selling it to contribute towards a new one. £1000 is my absolute limit but the cheaper the better if possible! (I'm not sure if less than £1000 will be possible but that is why I am here!)

I currently mainly use my laptop for gaming and although I don't need to be able to run extremely demanding games like GTA V and Fallout 4 at maximum settings I would really like to be able to run games including Cities: Skylines, Planet Coaster and Don Bradman Cricket 14 at 60fps on the highest settings possible. I don't know too much about graphics cards but I've come to understand that to run these games maxed out I would need a processor with a speed around 3.6ghz. For me the size of the screen doesn't matter, 15 or 17 inches would both be good, but I would prefer if possible and matte screen rather than a glossy one. I was also wondering whether 6gb of ram would be enough for this or if 8gb would be necessary.

Once again I would be really grateful for any advice given and look forward to weighing up the options!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    JoeChaffey, Apr 10, 2016
  2. JoeChaffey

Sefie

Alienware offers gaming laptops, you can check the price ranges online... As far as I know they make the real gaming laptops... specially created for gamers. I actually want one in the future, because well, most laptops are mediocre in this department. Check them out.

Sefie, Apr 10, 2016
  3. JoeChaffey

spence88

No way man. I'm sorry to say this but it's impossible to find a laptop that will meet your desired performance. Even high end overclocked desktops may have a hard time playing those at consistent 60fps on the highest settings. Saw a post on the planet coaster forums, he has an overclocked i7 6700 @4.0ghz, 32gb RAM and a 980ti @1367mhz and the CPU is at 90% and GPU at 100% when playing, but the FPS is hovering only at around 70. That's crazy. Although his park consists of about 1800 people with 8 flat rides, but still...

spence88, Apr 10, 2016
  4. JoeChaffey

JoeChaffey

Thank you for the reply! Is Cities:Skylines a similar case do you think or would it be possible to run that well on a laptop? If it is possible I would appreciate any suggestions for specific models :)

JoeChaffey, Apr 10, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  5. JoeChaffey

JoeChaffey

Thank you for your help :) I know that Alienware have a reputation for being overpriced when it comes to desktops, do you know if it the same case when it comes to laptops or are they the only company on the market who can actually provide their quality of performance?

JoeChaffey, Apr 10, 2016
  6. JoeChaffey

rz3300

Well I am sad to hear that a lot of people are saying that what you are looking for is not possible, but surely if you do some research you can at least find out the best ways to run those programs. I am not really a big games, but I do know that there are laptops out there designed purely for gaming, so those would probably be your best option. Just look around and see what you can find.

rz3300, Apr 10, 2016
    JoeChaffey likes this.
  7. JoeChaffey

Dilof

There are plenty of alternative companies that sell gaming laptops other than Alienware. You are right that Alienware is overpriced and frankly not worth the money for the quality you get. There's a very good ASUS laptop currently on the market that can play most games on very high (maybe at the exception of some of the newer high quality games like The Witcher 3).

Here's a link to it, it's out of stock at the moment but some other sites may have it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232769R&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Gaming Laptops-_-N82E16834232769R&gclid=CjwKEAjww9O3BRDp1tq0jIP023YSJAB0-j1S2ifqv3wCVD6cUppG3eVo3SOWthm6PDSzm6vJH9v79hoCCkzw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It does everything an Alienware laptop at a higher price would do. If you're looking for a laptop that will run games and don't care about video quality then there are plenty of other laptops out there that do that for a lot cheaper.

Dilof, Apr 10, 2016
  8. JoeChaffey

spence88

You can run it on a laptop, but when the population gets high, the game can give even high end desktops a run for their money. I looked at other forums and saw another post, these games really are system busters. He has an overclocked i5 3570 @4.4ghz, an overclocked GTX 670 and the CPU is 100% across all cores and 80% for the GPU. No way a laptop can reproduce that. Let alone run it for extended periods of time. You absolutely risk overheating unless you have a liquid cooling setup, which currently only a specific ASUS ROG model offers. Your games will push the system to the limits, so I suggest you look at the ASUS ROG GX700. Good luck and sorry for your wallet!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    spence88, Apr 11, 2016
    JoeChaffey likes this.
  9. JoeChaffey

JoeChaffey

Thank you for the suggestion, it's been extremely helpful! I've been looking through the Asus ROG range and they are all very impressive, the problem is that impressive really does cost with laptops. After evaluating all the options I came across the G751JT model ( https://www.asus.com/uk/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JT/ ) and I was wondering if you or anyone could give me some advice about it. It has an Intel® Core™ i7 4710HQ Processor which turbo boosts up to 3.5ghz which seems great for the price and an NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX970M with 3GB GDDR5. This graphics card is the main factor in why I chose this one over the one you suggested but I'm not sure about other pros and cons of this model. I'm open to any opinions :)

JoeChaffey, Apr 11, 2016
  10. JoeChaffey

JoeChaffey

JoeChaffey, Apr 11, 2016
  11. JoeChaffey

spence88

Looking at the specs, the Fangbook III BX7-200 beats the Asus ROG G751JT by a bit. So if you want raw power more than anything else, then the former is the best choice since they don't differ much in price as well.

If you want to look deeper, like how loud are the fans during system load, battery life, system and case temperatures (there are laptops that get extremely hot on the outside, look for laptops which remain cool especially at the parts where your hand rests, it gets annoying when it reaches 45 or more degrees, you're hands will get sweaty), or anything else that will be relevant for your purchase, I suggest you go look for reviews on the net. Good luck! :)

spence88, Apr 14, 2016
    JoeChaffey likes this.
Ask a Question