Looking for a distro

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Foxcat, May 25, 2016.

1. Foxcat

Foxcat

I'm currently running Solus, and as much as I love it, it's still more or less in beta. As such, it's fairly unstable, and missing a lot of packages that more established distros like Ubuntu have.

So, what distro would you guys recommend for someone that's into Linux but not quite an advanced user? A midtier distro of sorts. I would especially appreciate a focus on looks and ability to rice.

Thanks!

Foxcat, May 25, 2016
  2. Foxcat

SirJoe

It really depends on your needs. A good place to get some extra information about linux distros is distrowatch.

http://distrowatch.com/

I'm sure you will find something that will suit your needs. They also have a list of the most downloaded linux distros.

SirJoe, May 27, 2016
  3. Foxcat

Brian8gbSSDLinux

IMO Linux Lite is a really lightweight distribution - but able to give you Heavy Weight results.

It is just less then 800 Mb (yes Mb, so it is fairly quick to download)
    It fits easily on any old 2 Gb Pendrive you have lying around, though I prefer a 4 Gb stick with a 1024Mb ;Persistence Folder' (available when using Unetbootin to build the distro on the Pendrive).

Why a Persistence Folder? Because without it the Pendrive is like a LIVE CD - cannot be written to...
    WITH Persistence - Upgrades and Installed stuff CAN be saved... so You can actually have Linux - on - a - stick and take it with you anywhere. My alternative to taking my Laptop on Holiday to Europe = sitting in my Pocket - it isn't going to be stolen.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jun 3, 2016
  4. Foxcat

fcuco

It depends, what do you need exactly? If you want easy of use plus some eye candy I would recommend something like Elementary OS, it is ubuntu based and has a focus on design and looking good (Something similar to Linux Mint). If you want something that's lightweight and fast without much compromise try something like Lubuntu or Xubuntu, both ubuntu based obviously. I, in particular, always go lightweight and not resource hungry. I stopped caring about bells and whistles a long time a go, I want the OS to be minimal en efficient.

fcuco, Jun 9, 2016
  5. Foxcat

SirJoe

I went and took a look at the desktop layout of Elementary OS I was unfamiliar with it. I see that they are using Pantheon. I have to try it on a virtual machine, thanks for the share.

SirJoe, Jun 22, 2016
Ask a Question