Long term solid WiFi operation for XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rich in ILM, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Rich in ILM

Rich in ILM

My WiFi performance has been rock solid and with good range after I installed this driver: 7.6.1.210
    http://tinyurl.com/yjycxhm Samsung UK website

And turned the power save feature off.
    Device manager/Atheros Adapter/Advanced/Power Save Mode Off

I went from thinking the Atheros nedded to be replaced to being very impressed with it's performance!

Rich in ILM, Oct 11, 2009
  2. Rich in ILM

darkmenx

seems this driver fixed my wifi-signal drop problem, thanks

darkmenx, Nov 5, 2009
  3. Rich in ILM

ryanc021

Awesome,

thanks for the link, finally I've been able to use windows 7 backup utility over my network successfully. Been trying for a couple of days with the 7.6.0.264 drivers with no success so i decided to try and find a driver on here. Tried the win7 drivers from your link and BAMMM completed first time. My backup image was about 8.5gb, my wifi was fully utilised for about 1hr35mins, only been using the driver for a couple of hours but these are definitely keepers.

ryanc021, Nov 5, 2009
  4. Rich in ILM

rramjet

Just got an Aspire One Netbook for my wife for Christmas and guess what; no net connection on wireless. Ethernet works fine. Strong wireless connection just no web communication. After surfing for a while this seems to be a common problem going back a long time. Mine was built July of 09. Driver ver is 7.7.0.384. turned off power saver for the card no help. Got on twice while sitting next to the Router and after rebooting the Router. My Dell Notebook works fine. When I ran Diagnostics while sitting next to the Router it reported problems with FTP but HTTP and one other I can't recall were good. Tried pinging and no received messages 100% fail. It's using an Atheros AR5B95 Adapter card. Any problems trying the above referenced Driver?

rramjet, Dec 4, 2009
  5. Rich in ILM

Rich in ILM

Any chance you have Netgear router? I set up a Netgear Router in the clubhouse and had to drop it back to WEP security as it wouldn't play with the Atheros chip in WPA configuration. Also completely delete the current WiFi profile on your Acer and redo it. Sometimes windows reads the wrong security configuartion and then gets stuck. Finally make syre your router doesn't have a MAC deny filter activated where you are only letting in known mac addresses.

Rich in ILM, Dec 4, 2009
  6. Rich in ILM

rramjet

Thanks. I now have the Net. :D I had to go to windowsupdate.com and load all the updates (49) and things started working. Seemed to get better every time I shut down and restarted. Not sure that makes any sense. Probably could have done it quicker by doing a custom update and just selecting some hardware fixes but I'm a glutton for punishment. The connection is a little glitchy and isn't as fast my Dell so I still think there is more to be done but Wifey is happy for now.

rramjet, Dec 5, 2009
  7. Rich in ILM

Forone

For XP systems, the Windows Update "optional" update for Atheros driver and turning off "power saving" are the usual answer to wi-fi problems.

Forone, Dec 5, 2009
  8. Rich in ILM

rramjet

I spoke too soon. Inet was working then just lost it and can only get it back very intermittently. Works fine on Ethernet. wireless connection says excellent. Interesting thing is I can connect to a weak unsecured linksys router somewhere in my neighborhood and get on inet and quickly. It does show a 54 mbs vrs my 11 so probably a g. Did a chat with Acer which led to I need to do a recovery. I don't think so particularly since it will work on the other guys router. I've checked everything I can think of. The Explorer diagnostics says it can't resolve the gateway address via ARP. I did a reset on the router and it worked a couple of tomes then quit again. My Dell notebook is working wirelessly without problems. I've compared settings between the two and they are the same with the exception of physical address and IP which seems correct. I'm thinking about a new b/g router but really hate to spend the money if there is a simple solution.

rramjet, Dec 8, 2009
  9. Rich in ILM

Forone

Seems that if your Acer is connecting with other wi-fi signals reliably, it's either your router or the configuration for it in the Acer. If you have another computer working reliably off your router, that seems to narrow it to a configuration issue. Maybe delete the current configuration, create a new network connection in the Acer, and take it from the beginning, step by step.

Forone, Dec 8, 2009
  10. Rich in ILM

rramjet

Well I used the problems with the Acer to justify getting a new wireless g Router. Got a Netgear and all is well (so far) with really quick inet access compared to the old b verson. Same for my Dell as well. I tried to check the old Adaptec settings but that's when I found that I no longer knew my user name or password. Further justification for a new router.

rramjet, Dec 9, 2009
  11. Rich in ILM

Forone

Contratulations - certainly worthwhile since 11b is barely enough data transfer to handle a decent broadband internet service. On my 7mb/sec DSL service, I don't find much internet speed difference between ethernet and 11g wifi.

Forone, Dec 9, 2009
  12. Rich in ILM

gigieu

I too was ready to replace the atheros wifi card after it randomly drops the connection mostly while downloading large files. If I turned encryption off in the Netgear router the wifi seemed far stabler. In desperation I changed my rather long WPA encryption Key to a much shorter one of about 9 characters and voila, no more drops!! It seems the Atheros in the AAO cant handle the large key reliably.

gigieu, Jan 2, 2010
Ask a Question