Logitech SetPoint screws up Power Management

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Bradskey, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Bradskey

Bradskey

Hi, I just got myself a new white Acer ONE 160GB 6-cell model this week. Been enjoying it immensely, I think its great. Today I got some new toys to go with it, but had some real bummer problems.

First to add bluetooth I got the IOGEAR micro usb bluetooth adapter (GBU421). This thing is TINY! Comes with Widcomm drivers and seems to work great, its so small and power-efficient you can just leave it in one of the USB ports and never worry about it again -- perfect for any Aspire ONE user needing bluetooth, IMO. It sits completely flush with the side of the laptop -- none of the USB connector metal is exposed at all, just a little blue wart on the side of your machine. It seems to shut off (at least the blue LED goes out) when not in use for a while. I also got some IOGEAR bluetooth headphones, but I haven't tried those yet.

The trouble however began with my third new toy, a Logitech V470 bluetooth laser mouse. I installed the Logitech SetPoint software that comes with it and then setup the mouse. Mouse seemed fine, very precise, much nicer to use than the touch pad. I thought I had a real winner. Unfortunately after only about 20 minutes the LED in the mouse died, effectively blinding the laser so that the mouse cursor wouldn't move at all, even though all the buttons still worked. I confirmed by holding the mouse over a bright lamp and shaking it and noting the mouse finally moving erratically on the screen. Bummer. So I arranged to return/exchange it, guess I just got a bad one. Figured I'd just get the new one next week or something and just pair it and go on, so I left the Logitech software installed. I had actually even allowed the Logitech software to update itself to the latest version. That's when the other trouble began.

Suddenly I noticed that when the system went into Standby that the power indicator wasn't turning to amber and I couldn't get the machine to wake up. Had to hold the power button down to forcefully shut the machine down and then start it again. Hibernate was also broken apparently, since it would get stuck on the "preparing to hibernate" screen and have to be forcefully shut down also. I KNEW standby and hibernate had been working all week. I also noted that the battery/charging indicator had gone missing from the task bar and would only appear after every 2 or 3 reboots. The only changes to the system had been adding the USB bluetooth adapter and installng Logitech SetPoint.

Long story just a bit longer, uninstalling SetPoint seemed to resolve all issues. Some searching on the web indicates it may be an issue with SP3 rather than the AAO specifically, but if anyone else's power management features get screwed up it may have to do with the same or similar software. I guess I will report it to Logitech, see what they say.

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/boa ... d.id=12030

Anyone else experience the same or similar issues, even on different netbooks/notebooks?

Bradskey, Jan 1, 2009
  2. Bradskey

Bradskey

Logitech suggested I downgrade to an old version of SetPoint and this seemed to resolve my problem. Latest is 4.7, but my CD came with 4.2, and 4.6 was suggested to me to try. I installed 4.2 from CD and have no issues. Apparently 4.7 the latest and greatest is causing some people lots of different issues so I guess avoid it if you are using Logitech wireless accessories with your ONE. :D

Bradskey, Jan 3, 2009
  3. Bradskey

vickid

I also have an Aspire 5610 laptop and bought the a mini mouse for it, I installed Setpoint and had nothing but trouble with the laptop. I had to actually restore my system. I think SetPoint is a mess and would never put it on any machine again.

vickid, Jan 5, 2009
  4. Bradskey

hansi1

I bought a wireless USB mouse for my Aspire One at Aldi for a tenner. Works perfectly and I can switch it around my other computers too. Brilliant! :D

hansi1, Jan 12, 2009
  5. Bradskey

jpgirl

hmmm I'm running set point 4.7 on mine with XP and have no problems at all.

jpgirl, Jan 17, 2009
  6. Bradskey

Tarheel72

I am using the Microsoft BT laptop mouse with the same IOGEAR dongle and it has worked fine so far. I use the Microsoft BT stack and there was no mouse SW to load. One time I did find the machine frozen when I opened it and it would not come out of hibernation. That is the only time it has ever frozen on me and I use it daily. I am not sure if that was related to the BT in any way, but it has never happened again.

I have also linked up via BT to my mobile phone and transferred files. Haven't tried a BT headset yet, just the standard stereo plug in style, which work great for viewing movies via my outboard DVD drive or streamed from NetFlix.

Tarheel72, Jan 19, 2009
  7. Bradskey

Bradskey

All I can tell you is at the time the only things installed on the system were the IOGear bluetooth dongle and the Logitech SetPoint 4.7. I rebooted several times (had to), because sleep and hibernate kept screwing up. Simply removing SetPoint 4.7 resolved the issue. I have since installed SetPoint 4.2 and no problems so far.

I considered the Microsoft mouse too (the 5000 I think its called). Decided I liked the simpler button layout of the Logitech better, plus Microsoft's BT mouse doesn't even work with their own Intellipoint/Intellitouch (or whatever its called) software. The reason I installed the included WidComm BT stack is because the XP native stack doesn't support things like A2DP profile (I don't believe), so you might want to try it if you want to use good BT headphones.

Bradskey, Jan 20, 2009
Ask a Question