Lockup when plugged in

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by LABCO55, Jun 12, 2012.

1. LABCO55

LABCO55

Aspire One D250, when electrical plugged in system freezes ONLY when I begin using different windows. When plugged in and I shut the lid and it goes into sleep mode, system will work IF I unplug the cord. System runs fine on battery. Have had this happen continuously for the past 10 days on a trip. System charges fine and NO lockup occurs when on battery power. Anyone seen this before?

LABCO55, Jun 12, 2012
  2. LABCO55

Swarvey Moderator

I can't say I've had this happen to me, but I can make a suggestion as to why it's happening.

When you plug in your ac lead, the CPU is unlocked so to speak. With the extra current supplied by ac power, it's allowed to reach higher clock speeds. When unplugged, it's throttled down a bit to extend battery life, at the cost of a minor performance drop. In the long run, the higher speeds means increased heat output. If you can, try blowing some air, at pressure, into the cooling vent on the side of your aao. You might find that the fan or vent is partially blocked, which in turn will allow the CPU to overheat, which can cause any number of problems.

Another thought, ate you taking full ac power from a wall? Or using an inverter connected to a car battery or similar? "Unclean " power can also cause issues.

Swarvey, Jun 12, 2012
Ask a Question