LOCK the ONE

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by m1m1nk, Oct 15, 2008.

1. m1m1nk

m1m1nk

Hi Guys,

First of all, I'd like to thanks to this forum for giving me much education on Linpus, having just bought AA110 2 weeks ago.

Now I'm wondering is there a way for me to LOCK my ONE so no one can power it on but me?

Appreciate your answers soon!

---------------------------------------------------
    AA110 cost USD 450 here in Indonesia :cry:

m1m1nk, Oct 15, 2008
  2. m1m1nk

goofball

Take the battery and power adapter with you.
    There's no other way to stop them from turning it on but in the BIOS, you can put a password on the HDD so that they cannot boot the OS without it. Just don't forget the password!

goofball, Oct 15, 2008
  3. m1m1nk

Grim Squeaker

You can indeed enable a bootup password in the BIOS. Note that the BIOS will store it in ALL CAPS no matter how you type it*.

Of course, someone who knows who to flash a BIOS will be able to remove that setting, but that requires effort and will be noticed by you (if only because the pw will be gone).

If you want to protect your files, consider encrypting them. Truecrypt is in the repositories (albeit an older version) and works fine for that purpose. Of course, the NSA and such will probably still be able to get them if they really, really, really wished to make the effort - but hey.

*unless you update the BIOS to the latest version. Then it will simply not distinguish between PASSword, PaSSWorD, password and so on.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 15, 2008
  4. m1m1nk

dirk

modify grub to start DBAN automatically with the screen blanked if the laptop is not booted with your USB thumbdrive plugged in, then take the thumbdrive with you. :twisted:

dirk, Oct 15, 2008
  5. m1m1nk

m1m1nk

ONE is LOCKED

Hey hey, thanks for the advice guys!

I put a password on BIOS and it worked smoothly, now it calls for a password every time it's turned on, just before the blue AspireOne screen, nice...

Reminder though, the BIOS only recognize the password in ALL CAPS! Special thanks to Grim Squeaker, I'm not worried about NSA, I'm more worried of my wife :mrgreen:

m1m1nk, Oct 17, 2008
Ask a Question