Live update- Internal error

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Benmoto1, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Benmoto1

Benmoto1

As you know live update can be used to both install and uninstall programs. I want to uninstall an update but when i click on the history button within live update an error box pops up"Internal Error- The update list cannot be retrieved." Any suggestions as to what is wrong?
    Thanks

Benmoto1, Nov 30, 2008
  2. Benmoto1

RTB

Re: Live update problems-success at last

Since my 110 collapsed in agony a few days ago I have been struggling to get it working. From postings here it seems the problem (loss of network, audio, etc) was probably triggered by live update. I did a complete recovery and then did the clean desktop changes as posted on this forum and the real player installation. However, like many others the live update kept failing with a network disconnected message (the network was OK!). I have tried many times over the last few days (and nights) but this morning it ran to completion with no problems. Perhaps something has changed at Acer? My message is try live update again and hope you have the same success.

Many thanks to those who help the less Linux experinced of us to sort things out. :D

RTB, Nov 30, 2008
  3. Benmoto1

mw21410

I had same 'internal error", seems to be bound to an xml file which is not in the proper directory (var/cache/online-updater), but I don't know how to make it go there, I don't see more where is this directory...! Thanks if you can explain le what to do.

When doing sudo onlineupdate, there is some indications; after this try to open liveupdate and execute. the you'll see some more indications in the file.

mw21410, May 24, 2009
  4. Benmoto1

trace

I just fixed the same symptoms. Not necessarily the same problem?
    Running onlineupdate (no sudo needed) from the shell gave me some pointers...

I think my LiveUpdate got messed up when I tried to install the probably broken "A patch for Acer Communication Suite (180083)". I found a 0 bytes long xml-file /var/lib/online-updater/updates_info/acs_im_20090430.sh.xml. Removing it just gave a different error. But removing the acs_im_20090430.sh lines (I had it several times there!) from /var/lib/online-updater/installed-success.log (remember to take a backup copy before editing!) fixed the problem. And now I am able to see my history in LiveUpdate.

I did the macles* sed trick on the onlineupdate binary a few days ago. (A bit scary to run sed on a binary... ;)) But I don't think that caused the error...

trace, May 26, 2009
Ask a Question