Live Update error

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rawal1, Jan 1, 2009.

1. rawal1

rawal1

I'm having a problem with Live Update. Only had the AAO a couple of weeks, ran Live Update first time and all went well. Downloaded most of the 19 updates the system told me it needed. 3 were left uninstalled. I ran LU again and now I get an error message saying :-

Could not connect to the update server. Please
    check your network environment as follows:
    1. Check if the network cable is properly inserted.
    2. Check your network status.

My connection is fine - I've run LU on WiFi and Lan - still the same error message. When running LU now, it seems as though the files have been downloaded and just need to be installed. Loooking at other threads this seems to be a common problem. All the solutions suggest using the Teminal. Is the any other way to solve the problem? Not being faliliar with Linux I'm reluctant to mess with terminal, - if something goes wrong I'll be in deeper than I am now.

Can the updates be found and downloaded direct from a web site? Or, if they have already been downloaded can the install be run manually?

Any help would be much appreciated.

rawal1, Jan 1, 2009
  2. rawal1

daldred

This sort of error has been reported several times, and there are many threads on the forum about it. Please use the search facility (hint: it's the little box on the top right with 'Search' in it) and read the threads you find before starting yet another thread.

daldred, Jan 1, 2009
  3. rawal1

rawal1

Thanks for your reply, but as I said I've read the other threads, but as far as I can see they all say you have to use the terminal, which I'd prefer to avoid if I can, hence my asking if there were any alternatives.

BTW thanks for the tip on the "Search" box. What would I have done without you!!!!

rawal1, Jan 1, 2009
  4. rawal1

daldred

The main problem with avoiding using the terminal is that to run the Live Updates manually you need to be root.

While this can be done through a graphical interface (as it is when you run Live Update and it asks for your password in a dialog box) you'd still need to use the 'run command' (alt-f2) and put a command in there every time you needed a graphical command run as root, so frankly opening the terminal and entering the commands there is far easier!

daldred, Jan 2, 2009
  5. rawal1

rawal1

Thanks for the info David. I have been able to "work round" my immediate problem, which was that I couldn't use Messenger with MSN without downloading the patch. I looked at http://update.linpus.com/ACER/AspireOne/ which I got from one of the treads. From there browsed round the various versions, opening the .sh.xml files to track down the update I needed. At the top of the file is the description and number, which matches the information in Live Update. e.g. "A patch for Acer Communication Suite(180055)" Once I'd identified the right file I then clicked on the corresponding .sh file which opened a FF dialogue box asking "What should FF do with this file" the default being "Open with installpatch" Clicked OK - ran install - went to Messenger and hey presto, all worked just fine!! The file I ran was acs0828.sh from V9.0.1

Another thing I found was the "Updates" link from http://www.update.linpus.com/ doesn't seem to work. Could this be a contributory factor to LU not working, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

rawal1, Jan 2, 2009
  6. rawal1

daldred

Hi!

There's an issue with Live Update which has recently been reported on http://macles.blogspot.com/2009/01/live-update-problems.htmlmacles blog and on this forum thread.

Fixing it involves using the terminal, I'm afraid - though I suppose you could do ALT-F2 and type 'sudo mousepad' then navigate through the File Open dialog to find the files in question to minimise the terminal work.

daldred, Jan 5, 2009
Ask a Question