Live update error and workaround

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jukk, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jukk

jukk

After the last updates a couple of days ago, Live update stopped working. It says 'Receiving data from server...' and then always timeouts with 'Update download list failed'. I have run it lot's of times the last few days with the same result. I thought the server was down or something. Then I tried running 'onlineupdate' from the terminal and this works fine. It starts the same Live update window but it immediately connects to the server. This is very strange because the desktop shortcut also points to the 'onlineupdate' application.

jukk, Aug 3, 2008
  2. jukk

uzi

I had a slightly different Live update error, my process was stopping after downloading the update files from the server.

I did the following: I've deleted the files from the directory /var/cache/onlineupdate (including the lock file) and restarted the process - this time it went through (probaby I had an interrupted/failed update before)

uzi, Aug 5, 2008
  3. jukk

Loke

Thank you for this information. I was able to get Live Update working again by using this information. However, I deleted all files from the directory /var/cache/online-updater (I did not find the directory called onlineupdate from /var/cache). Anyway, everything works like a charm now.

Loke, Aug 5, 2008
  4. jukk

uzi

Sorry for the inaccurate directory name, I was not doublechecking it (just writing from memory). I'm glad it helped.

uzi, Aug 6, 2008
  5. jukk

hkalnes

I've had a slightly different problem with Live Update: After I did a system recovery Live Update did not work. The message "Searching for the fastest server" displayed for about 30 seconds, and then "Receiving data from server" displayed several minutes before a message indicating a timeout was displayed. After 24 hours trying, I decided that something had to be wrong, and started searching for a solution and found your post.

I first tried "onlineupdate" from the terminal, with the same result as before. But now I could see what was happening in the background - the program was trying to download the file update.list from a directory on update.linpus.com using FTP with a username and password. And the transfer timed out.

I tried to connect to the FTP-server using an ordinary FTP program, with the username and password that was displayed. And as expected, I wasn't able to connect. But the output from "onlineupdate" suggested that http also could be used, so here's what I did:

1) With FireFox, I opened the suggested URL http://update.linpus.com/ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.0/update.list. It contained a list of 3 shell script files:
    Code:
    online-updater080730.sh
    installpatch080725.sh
    system080805.sh
    2) From the list, I suspected that the Live Update process actually is about downloading and running the listed scripts. So I listed the directory http://update.linpus.com/ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.0/, and the files were actually there, along with an xml file for each script file.

3) I downloaded update.list along with the 3 .sh-files and their respective .xml-files to the /var/cache/online-updater directory.

4) I opened a terminal and cd'ed my way to the download directory. So, which one to execute first? Each file has a date in the file name, and at first I thought they should be executed in chronological order. But then I thought maybe they should be executed in the order listed in updates.list. So I decided to execute online-updater080730.sh first. Here are the commands needed, assuming the files are already downloaded:
    Code:
    cd /var/cache/online-updater
    sh online-updater080730.sh
    5) Since the file name suggested that this was an update for Live Update, I decided to try an ordinary Live Update again. And voila - It worked! A lot of patches were installed, and after a restart Live Update still seems so work.

I suspect the root of the problem is that Live Update on the recovery CD is set to use FTP, and after the CD was produced they switched to http. Bad ACER :roll:

:D Thanx guys - for pointing me in the rigth direction!

hkalnes, Aug 14, 2008
  6. jukk

Wesi72

Works for me thanks :D

Wesi72, Aug 14, 2008
  7. jukk

speekergeek

+1!!!

This saved me some serious grief. I was having problems with the trackpad and wireless was spotty. but after updates it is aok.

Big thanks to the hard workers uot there

speekergeek, Aug 15, 2008
  8. jukk

avel3976

Please Help!!!!!!
    I'm so new to Linux it's not funny.

I'm having the same issues and have tried to follow instructions provided by hkalnes but all i get is connection refused.
    [user@localhost ~]$ su
    Password:
    [root@localhost user]# cd /var/cache/online-updater
    [root@localhost online-updater]# sh online-updater080730.sh
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing update online-update....
    audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused
    Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
    1:eek:nline-updater ########################################### [ 50%]
    2:update-notifier ########################################### [100%]
    [root@localhost online-updater]#

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

avel3976, Aug 15, 2008
  9. jukk

Toma

Basically, youre fine. This means the update went perfectly well. The "connection refused" thing is a bug in the way linpux authenticates itself with su (super user). You can ignore all instances where that pops up. When something errors properly, it will break and generally give you a real error message. eg. "Error: 404 - Unable to connect to server." or something to the like. :)

Toma, Aug 15, 2008
  10. jukk

iceblue

Try running live update from the desktop....that worked for me.
    Acer must have done a mistake here...under etc/online-updater/ one of the files shows that the ftp protocol is to be used while the update site is a http site. ftp.linpus.com is working with ftp but does not contain all the updatefiles required. I've tried changing this but with no luck (guess its more to it)..util i tried the manually download and manually sh - way (mentioned above).

-Jon

iceblue, Aug 15, 2008
  11. jukk

kapinouwi

hello

i'm french and i'm a beginner

when i type

[user@localhost ~]$ su -
    Password:
    [root@localhost ~]# cd /var/cache/online-updater
    [root@localhost online-updater]# sh online-updater080730.sh
    sh: online-updater080730.sh: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost online-updater]#

helpppppppppppp

kapinouwi, Aug 15, 2008
  12. jukk

Arsey

Can somebody tell me how to access the directory so I can do this? I have the right click on desktop enabled already. Thanks

Arsey, Aug 15, 2008
  13. jukk

avel3976

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    Toma and Iceblue - thank you both for your quick response.

Have retried running live update again and it all worked fine.

Thank you to all on this great Forum/website

A happy Aspire One User and Linux learner.

avel3976, Aug 15, 2008
  14. jukk

Sid

Bonjour,
    before you did this, did you copy the file from the server to the directory /var/cache/online-updater ?

Sid, Aug 15, 2008
  15. jukk

scoshe

omg....i'm so new to this whole linux world......the first time i've set my eyes on it.

but i've struggled my way through and thanks to all of your help...i finally got the live update to work.

thank you sooo much.

thank goodness for help! maybe now my messenger will work!!! whoohooo!!!! :D

scoshe, Aug 16, 2008
  16. jukk

kapinouwi

oupssss no i didn't!!! :oops:

now it work!!! thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuu ;)

kapinouwi, Aug 16, 2008
  17. jukk

evacproc

Nice work, saved a ton of headaches. :D

evacproc, Aug 16, 2008
  18. jukk

jimgo

I'm glad everyone's live update is working. But i am stuck. i deleted all the files in the updater folder, including the lock file.
    Within a few seconds new files show up in the directory, and a notification that 3 files are ready to be installed. Thai language input - 180021, uk keyboard 180023, and keyboard layout 180045. I wait, a green bar goes to full, but the files dont seem to advance.

What could I be doing wrong?

Jimgo

jimgo, Aug 20, 2008
  19. jukk

garr

I tried that, and it installed the online-updater patch just fine, but Live Update still doesn't work. What should I do?

garr, Aug 20, 2008
  20. jukk

jimgo

I tried the instructions provided, but also went no where.

jimgo, Aug 20, 2008
Ask a Question