Live Messenger sign-in from multiple locations?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JimmiG, Feb 24, 2009.

1. JimmiG

JimmiG

A new feature of recent versions of Live Messenger (for Windows) is that you can be signed in from multiple locations at the same time instead of getting logged out from one computer when you sign in from another. This is very handy sometimes. Is there any messenger client for Linux that also supports this feature?

JimmiG, Feb 24, 2009
  2. JimmiG

daldred

Surely that isn't a client function - it's the server which allows logins from different places.

daldred, Feb 24, 2009
  3. JimmiG

JimmiG

Well obviously at some point they enabled login from multiple locations on the server side, but the client definitely also needs to support it. It won't work with old versions of Live Messenger, or alternatives like Pidgin. As soon as you log in using one of those, all computers, including those running the latest version of Live Messenger get kicked out. All computers logged in need to use the latest version of Live Messenger (or an alternative client with support for this feature I guess) for it to work.

So, my question remains: Are there any IM clients for Linux that support login from multiple locations yet?

JimmiG, Feb 25, 2009
  4. JimmiG

daldred

I can't immediately find any; could be worth emailing some of the developers to enquire whether they intend to support it (or see if they can work out why it should need supporting; it still seems pretty weird that a client would need any specific functionality, but then it's a Microsoft thing so it probably is pretty weird).

daldred, Feb 25, 2009
  5. JimmiG

JimmiG

Thanks. I guess I'll try that. It's a bit weird yes, but that's how it works. The new version of Live Messenger also allows you to remotely log off other computers logged in to your account using the latest Live Messenger (but not those running Pidgin or older versions of Live Messenger), so there are definitely some changes made to the client.

It's not a show stopper, but I miss being able to log in from the AAO from somewhere else in the house without having to worry about missing any messages on my desktop computer.

JimmiG, Feb 27, 2009
Ask a Question