Little huge problem

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by garr, Aug 19, 2008.

1. garr

garr

Just got my shiny new AA1 (linux version with the flash drive), but got a nasty problem. I was not prompted for language / password upon the first boot, as indicated in the instruction booklet. And worse, there already seems to be a PW in place, because leaving it blank and typing in a new one in the change password applet doesn't work. So now I can't log as root and install stuff. Also, clicking on the help icon results in a file not found error.

The box had the blue seals intact so I know it wasn't tampered with.

Please tell me I don't have to format...

garr, Aug 19, 2008
  2. garr

JimK

Stores have ways of wrapping up returned merchandise so most people can't tell it from fresh-from-factory. They have shrink-wrappers, seal tape and, hell, they probably have new-car fragrance they spray in there, too.

If you really don't want to reformat you can change the password from a terminal by typing "su passwd". I believe the help icon just gives you a PDF of the manual that comes with the AAOne.

If it was me, I'd much rather format and restore than take my chances using a system used by somebody else. But that's just me.

JimK, Aug 19, 2008
  3. garr

garr

Saw in another thread that the default PW is 111111, and sure enough, it worked. *shrug*

garr, Aug 19, 2008
Ask a Question