little confused..have A110L with Sim-slot - so can i use 3G?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spaceboy_psy, Jul 1, 2009.

1. spaceboy_psy

spaceboy_psy

The impression i've got is that for some reason I have a sim slot but no 3g modem and so will need an external 3g modem, but nowhere actually spells this out for me!

Help much appreciated, cheers!

spaceboy_psy, Jul 1, 2009
  2. spaceboy_psy

jerryt

If you have the Sim reader installed, then add any 3G card with a sim and you are ready. Check that the Mini PCI Express connector is installed before you buy the 3G card.

I recommend the MC8781 card (windows), you can get one cheap by buying a broken 881u, and removing the mPCIe card inside. Most of the time it is the USB connector that breaks on the 881u and the mPCIe card is perfect.

jerryt, Jul 1, 2009
  3. spaceboy_psy

DutchDK

It is just the same cabinet used on all the models, so there is nothing in behind that sim slot, unless the A110L was manufactured and sold as a 3G model.
    If your A110L is a 3G enabled model, which I seriously doubt, there should be a Mini-PCIE 3G modem in the bay.
    Unscrew the two screws and open up the bay door. If there isn't a 3G modem installed, and there isn't a mini-pcie connector in the bay, you do not have a 3G enabled A110L - And there won't be a sim-card holder behind that slot underneath the battery.

In that case you either have to use an external USB 3G modem, or mod the motherboard with the missing connector and sim-card holder then get hold of a mini-pcie 3G modem card. There is a very good tutorial by jerryt on the forum where he did exactly that.

DutchDK, Jul 1, 2009
  4. spaceboy_psy

spaceboy_psy

ok, thanks very much. I've seen that mod, looks fun, but a bit heavy duty for me right now (in Nepal for couple months! Better look into an external modem...

Thanks!

spaceboy_psy, Jul 2, 2009
Ask a Question