List of USB-sticks that can be used in reinstall

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by chelnov, Jul 29, 2008.

1. chelnov

Joe Cain

Joe Cain, Aug 12, 2008
  2. chelnov

Davidcowling

sony micro vault tiny 4GB works!

Davidcowling, Aug 14, 2008
  3. chelnov

corowakid

Imation 2Gb worked fine.

corowakid, Aug 14, 2008
  4. chelnov

Ace_Rimmer

Just installed the recovery software on a Kingston 2GB Data Traveler and tested it; works fine for me, too.

Ugly white and chartreuse USB drive, though. Looks bad with my new blue One!

Ace_Rimmer, Aug 17, 2008
  5. chelnov

garr

Meh, I tried 3 different pen-drives, all of which gave me error 39, so after reading this thread I went out and bought a kingston data traveller 2GB, and... error 39. What's going on?

EDIT: tried the process on a different computer and it worked. The recovery program must not like HP laptops :p.

garr, Aug 20, 2008
  6. chelnov

MadParrot

Another SanDisk Cruzer Micro skin 4Gb - has worked, (well it has booted and is intalling now). My Kingston 1Gb didn't - was attacked by the killer 'BB's.

MadParrot, Aug 22, 2008
  7. chelnov

Guest Guest

Corsair FlashVoyager 4G - no problems.

Guest, Aug 22, 2008
  8. chelnov

poneis

dane elec 1gb (dogtag) worked with no issues

poneis, Aug 23, 2008
  9. chelnov

rixard

I used a Sandisk Cruzer(U3) micro 4GB to reinstall Linpus. Worked like a charm. Took me about ~25 minutes.

rixard, Aug 29, 2008
  10. chelnov

violajack

Microcenter branded 4G stick failed the first time, but worked after another attempt at creating the stick from the CD. USB recovery stick created on a MacBook.

violajack, Aug 30, 2008
  11. chelnov

stiopa

kingston datatraveler 4gb working great ;)

stiopa, Sep 3, 2008
  12. chelnov

razzielx

Just installed using noname SDHC card reader and A-DATA SDHC 2GB memory card.

razzielx, Sep 11, 2008
  13. chelnov

SnowboardVicky

SumVision SV-U89 8Gb didn't work for me.

Succesfully did a recover using the supplied cd/dvd and an external drive.

Immediately tried to create a bootable usb using the AspireOne/CD-Rom/USB combination which appeared to work correctly.

However tried a recover using the USB and it fell over and finished with a screen displaying repeated 99 99 99.......

I haven't tried it again (which I know may work considering the flakiness of some of these things)

However I'll probably just going to but another USB pen drive of 2GB to keep for this purpose. I'll be buying one that someone's confirmed as work okay though!

SnowboardVicky, Sep 23, 2008
  14. chelnov

Grim Squeaker

Sandisk cruzer micro 2 GB did not work at first. It was formatted as NTFS at the time, U3 was removed. Reformatting as fat or ext3 did not help.

But after I had thrown the partitiontable completely away & put it into a different USB slot (not sure which of these two things made the difference) it worked perfectly.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 23, 2008
  15. chelnov

Aqualize

SanDisk Ultra Cruzer Titanium 4 GB worked fine.
    Some advices.

First I tried using a USB "multi"-in-1 card reader with 4 physical slots. And my 2 GB SD-card. After a some researching i figured out that albeit the boot device selector showed 4 devices (one for each slot) the linux boot afterwards (when trying to do the reinstall) only tried the first one, which wasn't the SD-card slot.
    So I had to buy a big USB pendrive (the one mentioned above). Then it didn't show up when I wanted to create the restore with another computer. Turns out that the front panel USB-port was connected in some strange way so my tip is that if you don't see your pendrive when you try to create the restore image - try with a directly connected USB-port on the back of the machine, straight onto the motherboard.

Aqualize, Sep 26, 2008
  16. chelnov

kapinouwi

patriot XT 4 and 8 gb works

kapinouwi, Sep 26, 2008
  17. chelnov

criskeune

I still did not need to do a recovery in my AAO yet (I am not very crazy dealing with my computers). I have just created the recovery USB as an extreme measure, just in case of something going wrong. I have used a very unknown and super cheap USB flash drive, which I was even afraid to buy. The model is the following:

"2 GB Super Talent Flash USB 2.0 Hi-Speed" (made in China, as my AAO! :eek: )

First, I checked if this pen drive was ok. It was. I checked also the real free capacity, and it was 1.94 GB. I thought it was ok for the recovery (since some people here in these boards say that the recovery take 1.91 GB), and so, I put the DVD recovery in the optical drive of my HP Pavilion Ze2420, inserted the pen drive in one of the USB entry and reboot the system. Durring the boot, I pressed f12, and the creation of the recovery USB was ready to go. I begun it and it took only 4 minutes and 18 seconds to complete.

There was no error 39, and my HP notebook is ok (no data loss, no reformatted hard drive).

Now I am just curious if this recovery usb pen drive will work on my AAO, if needed.... I will tell you if I need to to a recovery and how it works.

Cheers,

Cristina

criskeune, Sep 29, 2008
  18. chelnov

quikkie

Crucial 2GB pen drive worked
    2 no-name 1GB pen drives didn't work - the recovery disk said that they were too small and wouldn't start making the recovery-stick.

quikkie, Oct 2, 2008
  19. chelnov

ernestoo

I've tried everything but nothing worked... ERROR39 all the time. I even bought a bigger Stick. Didn't work... At the end i reinstalled Windows on my PC and booted the Recovery-DVD. And instead of that annoying ERROR39 everything worked fine. I've used a PNY Attaché 2GB Stick. Guys, i'm so relieved!!! :D Thanks for all the info!

ernestoo, Nov 11, 2008
  20. chelnov

Simply_Graham

Install of XP PRO from Freecom Databar USB 2.0 4GB all o.k (150L)

Failed install of original Linux Lenovo 1GB (with two identical units)

Graham :)

Simply_Graham, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question