Liquid spilled on laptop's keyboard

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by yeti1989, Mar 16, 2010.

1. yeti1989

yeti1989

hello
    this morning i woke up to find out that my laptop's keyboard weren't working (all the button's except: volume up/down, the P button and the 3 button's for bluetooth wifi etc)
    i might have spilled some juice on it when i was getting a drink at night (a small amount, not like a whole glass).

will it start working if i take it apart to dry it or the keyboard is dead for sure?
    will i break any warranty stckers when taking it apart?

sorry for any spelling mistaked, im on on-screen keyboard now
    ps. i use acer aspire 5738Z

thanks for any help

yeti1989, Mar 16, 2010
  2. yeti1989

Forone

You might try spraying in some electrical contact spray (100% isopropanol, no lubricants, is best) through vents, etc. I had complete recovery with it after a wine spill that bricked mine entirely because it got into the off/on button as well as several keys. (Obviously remove the battery and power until the solvent dries, only a few minutes.) It's available at electronic stores, small can about $10 with a plastic guide tube to focus the spray. The spray is useful for other electronics cleaning chores so is not a one off purchase.

Forone, Mar 16, 2010
  3. yeti1989

yeti1989

i bought some spray today, its "electrical solvent cleaner"
    it says its used for "Cleaning solvent and degreaser, for video and audio heads, removes grease and oil from electrical parts and components".
    do you think it will be suitable for that?
    i dont want to try unless im 100% sure that it won't cause any harm.

yeti1989, Mar 17, 2010
  4. yeti1989

Guest Guest

I would dry it out before I try anything else it may start working once the juice dries. as far as warrenty if you did indeed spill juice on it that will kill the warrnty

Guest, Mar 17, 2010
  5. yeti1989

Forone

Sorry I was offline for a couple of days. That should do it - mine is called "contact and head cleaner", too. Again, mine is pure isopropanol solvent with gas propellent, and no lubricants - other products for other purposes at the store had lubricant ingredients leaving a residue behind. It won't harm plastics or screen, and should just dry everything out - it works as a moisture remover as well as decrudder.

I remember now that after I spilled wine into the keyboard I rinsed it with water to remove the wine, hoping it would just dry out and work, but it didn't. When I got the solvent cleaner, I used the plastic tube to spray into the keys and in my case, because of the on/off button, down into the button and after removing the battery, into all the holes in the case near the button. It needs time to dry.

I didn't have to disassemble the keyboard, but if juice has dried inside you might have to. Agree with above that the warranty won't cover accident damage unless you bought extra coverage of some kind. Good luck. Be good to know if you succeed with it.

Forone, Mar 18, 2010
  6. yeti1989

yeti1989

i just disassembled the keyboard, sprayed it with this grease cleaner, left for a night and it was still not working next day ;/
    i sprayed it again few days ago but didnt check if it works now, im pretty sure it wont help, after first time i cleaned it, nothing changed, same keys broken etc.
    (ps. both times icleaned it, the keyboard was basically swimming in the alcohol, cuz i sprayed so much :D)

ps2. i think i can see some liquid marks on the tape (the one connecting keyboard with laptop) , also i could see some grease under that self-adhesive transparent tape that connects the tape to the keyboard itself, should i take it off just to clean it?

as for now im using external pc keyboard for my laptop... but thats temporary solution, i might need to take my laptop to uni someday and i need the laptop keyboard to be working for that

yeti1989, Mar 22, 2010
  7. yeti1989

Forone

That's more than I had to do, so only guessing now. If you've already removed the keyboard once it's probably not much more to unplug and clean the ribbon contact, too. Also be sure you've "worked" the problem keys up and down gently but repeatedly while they're wet with alcohol. You could also search out this site and eBay and even check Acer itself for a replacement keyboard that fits your model, I don't think they're too expensive. Good luck.

Forone, Mar 22, 2010
  8. yeti1989

7dwarfs

Get a replacement keyboard from ebay, some sellers from China will vend you one for just a few bucks. Keyboards with US layout are very well available and quite cheap.

7dwarfs, Jun 25, 2010
Ask a Question