Linux4one lite..first impressions and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Linux' started by barrymung, Jun 23, 2009.

1. barrymung

barrymung

Hi All,

Have just downloaded and installed linux4one lite and have installed it. Installation went very smoothly and it seems very stable in use.

It's a tad slower to load and shut down than Linpus, but not drastically so. Everything I have tried so far seems to work.

It's even partially fixed a problem I was having with the keyboard under linpus-if I typed a document fairly fast, the cursor would intermittently jump to different sections of the text, meaning I ended up typing gobbledegook. That problem occurs far less now (Although it's still there, any ideas as to what the cause/cure is?).

However, a couple of questions and one problem:

1. The default web browser is IceCat which is a derivative of Firefox. On the right hand side of the window are the usual up/down buttons with a slider bar in between, which you can use for scrolling the page you are viewing. Problem: If I click the up or down button fairly rapidly three or more times the on screen 'button' seems to 'stick' and the screen scrolls to the end of the page! It's REALLY annoying and only seems to occur in IceCat, not in any other windows..

2. How do you create a desktop icon? I don't seem to be able to do it!

3. There appears to be no installed email client. Any recommendations as to the best one to install? I want one that takes up a small footprint but still has all the basic functions.

Overall, linux4one is very impressive and it's really growing on me!

barrymung, Jun 23, 2009
  2. barrymung

lotus49

I hope that this doesn't sound like a stupid answer, but it rather sounds like you are touching the trackpad with your wrists while you are typing. Have you tried disabling the touchpad and using a mouse and seeing if your cursor still jumps around?

lotus49, Jun 23, 2009
  3. barrymung

barrymung

It's not a stupid question and it had crossed my mind that maybe my hands were getting too close to the trackpad..I don't *think* I touch it when I typee but I could be.

I'll try your suggestion of using a mouse and see what happens..

Apart from that the linux4one version of Ubuntu works really well, apart from the problem with the scroll function in Firefox/Icecat)

It's version 3.0.7-gl..has anyone else any issues with this version of Firefox under ubuntu on the one?

barrymung, Jun 24, 2009
Ask a Question