Linux? WHAT? I need help. Nothing works!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jarl1gmxde, Sep 22, 2008.

1. jarl1gmxde

jarl1gmxde

Dear Community,

Recently I bought an Aspire One. I Love it. But as a long-time windows user, I don't understand anything.

I want to install vcl media player, it does not work.
    I want to install antivir, does not work.
    I want to install hotspot shield, does not work.
    And I really want to install Outlook express instead of acer mail. Is that possible? Acer mail does not work with web.de. does not collect my mail... and the Adressbook is not as intuitiv as outlooks.

It does download, but then it wants to know with which programm i want to run the downloaded programm. WHAT, windows just runs the shit.

I read that the custom desktop can be changed to a working grown up desktop with alt f2, but i can only start a run programm window and with that i can only run something called terminal... which does nothing...

WHY OH WHY can't linux be as easy to understand as windows? I don't want to study Information technology just to play some movies on my netbook...

Maybe someone can restore my faith in linux.
    thanks, G from Germany

jarl1gmxde, Sep 22, 2008
  2. jarl1gmxde

kevin

Linux _is_ as easy to understand as Windows, for those who understand it. :) You said yourself that you are a long-term Windows user. That, I suggest, is why you find Windows easier to understand than Linux.

Why don't you just install some version of Windows, and then you won't have these problems any more?

Or you can persevere, and in time become as familiar with Linux as you are with Windows. It's your choice, really. Personally, I like Linux, and I think it's worth taking the time to become familiar with. But only you know whether you'd rather invest your time (in Linux) or your money (in Windows).

If you have problems with the Linux version, make a post for each one, pasting in what you tried to do, what error messages you got, etc. I'm sure people around here will do their best to help. But a thread on the general subject of `nothing works!' really isn't going to move things along, in my view.

kevin, Sep 22, 2008
  3. jarl1gmxde

rbil

You can start off by appreciating that Linux is NOT Windows. Why would you expect a Windows application like Outlook (Express) to run on Linux? Maybe you should have purchased an AA1 with Windows instead of Linux if you're unwilling to learn how to use Linux and just want to vent?

Cheers.

PS many of us really like Linux and wouldn't use Windows ever.

rbil, Sep 22, 2008
  4. jarl1gmxde

Tamrac

Linux actually works quite well... but it's like learning another language. You may not be able to speak or understand, but does not mean it's not working hehehe. :D

Skip all the headaches, browse through the XP threads... and be a happy XP camper like me. ;)

Tamrac, Sep 22, 2008
  5. jarl1gmxde

melhiore

My GURU would kill you for saying Holy Terminal does nothing!! :D :D :D

melhiore, Sep 22, 2008
  6. jarl1gmxde

Grim Squeaker

It works perfectly ;) Well ok - some sound issues. But that is mostly due to the Ones speaker.
    Read: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3770#p25335

Why do you want it ? Are you going to use the one as a mini-network server ?

Gee - I wonder why...

Evolution is quite similar to outlook. Could take a look at that.
    Thunderbird is different, but a decent alternative.

Yes, windows runs windows programs. Linux runs linux programs. Try to run a linux or MAC program in windows and it will not work; unless you are willing to tweak or install helper programs. The reverse is of course also true; why that surprises you is beyond me.
    A helper application that will allow you run some windowsprograms is wine.

The terminal is VASTLY more powerful than ms dos ever was, and one of the main advantages of linux over windows ;)
    However, as you should have read, there is a command you need to type in the terminal :p

An easy way to get a fully functional desktop is however found here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1612

As someone said: Linux and Windows are like two different languages. That you are more used to one does not mean that is easier or better. Windows is more limited in functionality and aimes to become idiotproof, Linux assumes you like control, expandability and are literate. Different views, different underlying design ideas.

Of course, the Linpus Linux included with the One is rather limited. By design - it is supposed to be a netbook, not a full laptop.
    Still - should not have bought the One if that was an issue, right ?

Grim Squeaker, Sep 22, 2008
  7. jarl1gmxde

daldred

If you mean vlc media player, plenty of people have it working; how are you trying to install stuff? Have you found the add/remove programs (pirut)?

In Windows you download software, and run some sort of installer. In Linux you use a package managerf (like pirut) and it does all the installing for you. Far easier.

Antivir sounds like Windows antivirus stuff: forget it. Linux doesn't have viruses (search for 'antivirus' on this forum to find out why). Why load up your systems resources with stuff you don't need?

Hotspot Shield isn't something I've heard of. Some sort of firewall?

Outlook Express? Yeuurgh. You *like* your machine totally insecure and full of viruses?

No, you can't put it on Linux; well, it might just about be possible but it would be a lot of work and it's really not worth it. Look at Thunderbird instead; it will do all Outhouse Excess will do and more, and it's far better.

Yeah, Linux doesn't need to run it: it installs it instead. Sorts it all out for you. Just find that Add/Remove Programs function!

The terminal is actually the most powerful thing there is in Linux, once you know how to use it: it can do anything. But you probably don't want to use it all the time, no.

There's a thread here ->http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28 which will tell you how to get the proper xfce desktop working.

Well, I've been using Linux for a few years now; my daughter just got a notebook with Vista installed on it. I don't understand it; nothing works, there's no package manager, you have to pay extra for anything worthwhile - and the damned thing won't even let her share her own folders across our home network. It's having Linux put on it very very soon, so that we can actually use it.

It's a matter of what you're used to. Start to find out how Linux 'thinks' and you'll soon be happy with it; keep thinking 'but Windows does it differently' and you'll stay stuck! Take adding software: on Linux you open the package manager, tick what you want, and hit the button: when it finishes the software is there, ready to go (though in some cases you may need to edit the configuration before it can run), already in your menu system in an appropriate place. In Windows you have to search for the stuff, pay your money, download and virus check a file, run the installer, and then clean up after it. One of those is an easier way :)

daldred, Sep 22, 2008
  8. jarl1gmxde

Zeratul

I think it's blatantly obvious that this user purchased this Linux netbook without knowing anything about operating systems. The user must have assumed that all operating systems are built the same and all operating systems run executable files.

Look, Linux is not Windows. I personally prefer Windows because that's what I know, but I specifically chose to get Linux because I want to learn it. You don't need an antivirus program while running Linux because it's next to impossible to get a virus. On top of that, all of these programs that you want, you cannot simply download the .exe files for them and expect them to run on Linux. These .exe files were made to run on Windows and will not run on Linux. For the software that you want, find the Linux versions of them; if they do not exist, try to find Linux alternatives. If you really want a specific Windows application, try installing it using Wine.

I recommend you read the stickies in this Beginner's Section to find out more about Linux before complaining about how nothing works.

Zeratul, Sep 23, 2008
  9. jarl1gmxde

Nitro661

GG flamed lol ^^

Nitro661, Sep 23, 2008
  10. jarl1gmxde

melhiore

?? Have you something interesting to add or it's just keyboard problem??

melhiore, Sep 23, 2008
  11. jarl1gmxde

RockDoctor

As you can see from the above responses, we agree. However, all is not lost. It will take some time, some effort, and probably more than one misstep, but you can become enlightened. As this was your first post, your frustration is understandable and even forgiveable. Although there are many good introductory Linux books on the market, unfortunately, I know of none that will specifically help you get started with the Linpus Lite desktop. My recommendation is that you just try the various programs offered on the desktop. Hopefully you've got a backup medium from which you can restore your system - if not, find your instructions and prepare one NOW! You shouldn't be able to clobber the system as a normal user, but if you do, the backup medium will be your friend.

RockDoctor, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question