Linux on Hybrid/2-in1's

Discussion in 'Linux' started by c3300, Mar 19, 2016.

1. c3300

c3300

I'm looking to get a new laptop for work, (for a reasons including my username and the little MSI box I was using for work finally starting to splutter a bit), and I've got a chance to pick up a 2-in-1 machine (a laptop with a screen that detaches for use as a tablet) for rather cheaper than a normal laptop. The actual model is Lenovo Miix 300 10.1 Inch Atom 2GB 32GB 2-in-1 Laptop.

The question is that I use Linux as an OS (usually Lubuntu, Puppy, or Fedora) and I'm not sure how well Linux works with a 2-in-1. I've already noticed the touchscreen on my current laptop doesn't work under Linux, but I never use it anyway, and in practice I'd never use the machine as a tablet. Has anyone tried putting Linux on this type of model or any type of hybrid laptop, and if it worked, which distros work best?

c3300, Mar 19, 2016
  2. c3300

fcuco

Touchscreen support is going to be just one of the many issues that you could have, drivers availability could affect the power management (suspend, resume), and the orientation sensor. Other stuff you probably could go by without like the ability to use the tablet's buttons could also be a problem. You could also get the touchscreen working but without any type of multi touch support, so it is really up to you, you should go ask around in the forums of some of the more widespread distros like Ubuntu to see if somebody has tried it yet, although I suspect that even if you go into a driver hunt you will not get a 100% functional thing.

fcuco, Mar 27, 2016
  3. c3300

Moist Towels

I haven't tried to put Linux on a 2-in-1, but I have attempted installing Xubuntu onto a touchscreen computer. It didn't support the touchscreen perfectly; it was recognized as a mouse device and did work, but it couldn't detect multiple touches at once.

You might want to try using a live USB first to see if it works well.

Moist Towels, Apr 7, 2016
  4. c3300

nytegeek

I know that there is Linux device support available because Sytem76 manufactures desktop computers with touch screens and ships them with Ubuntu. The Sable Touch is their Ubuntu all-in-one desktop computer.

nytegeek, Apr 11, 2016
Ask a Question